Author Topic: First primitive bow kill!!!  (Read 6590 times)

youngbowyer

First primitive bow kill!!!
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:53:55 am »
All good things come unexpectedly. I've been trying to get a rabbit all summer but i just couldn't hit one. I got buck fever and i would get shaky and miss the shot. However yesterday was a different day. I had one of those days when my accuracy was top notch. I was hitting coke cans and water bottles from 20 yards consistently. Around 4 i decided to go check my traps and i brought my bow as usual figuring it couldn't hurt. The woods in where i set my traps takes me along a corn field. I spot this cottontail rabbit and the stalk began. I spooked him and he ran into a thicket of thorns. I nocked another arrow and aimed for his head, instead the arrow went flying into his back leg, it screamed and ran further into the thorns, I belly crawled through the thorns into a little clearing which gave me enough room to get a half draw shot. I aimed at his head and the arrow caught him in his abdomen. It screamed and was about to run but i wasn't gonna let him get away. I took of my quiver, dropped my bow, and belly crawled through the thorns. I managed to grab his hind leg and i dragged him into the clearing. I quickly broke his neck and retrieved my arrows. It's my first kill and i am damn proud of it!!

Offline n2everythg

Re: First primitive bow kill!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:02:23 pm »
Congrads. Nice shooting and good hunt.
sounds like a good clean kill. Nice job.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:40:32 pm »
It may not of been super clean but at least you got him. What point are you useing it looks like a feild point??? get hold of some blunts. great job mate.
darren

youngbowyer

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:50:15 pm »
It may not of been super clean but at least you got him. What point are you useing it looks like a feild point??? get hold of some blunts. great job mate.
darren

Yea field points, i have tried blunts with poor results. The rabbits jump and squel but get away so i figured a field point would make a cleaner kill. Ill put some nutters behind the points next time.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:53:36 pm »
Iam sure you will have a much cleaner kill with a big old hex nut on the end of your arrow. How are you going to cook him???  ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 02:38:11 pm »
Congrats Tom!  Our families favorite way to have rabbit is with wild rice. Get a package of Uncle Ben's wild rice at the grocery store. Cut the rabbit meat off the bones and cube it...actually you just need to get it into bite sized pieces. Put a little olive oil in a large skillet (electric or cast iron...even a wok works well) and get it hot. Add the cubed rabbit and cook till done. Add the seasoning packet and mix that well with the meat. Then add the water and rice. Cook the rice per the instructions on the box. When the water is pretty much absorbed it is ready. Wonderful eats.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Dazv

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 03:55:32 pm »
Man that sounds good :)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:15:44 pm »
Well Done Sir!!!

Winner Winner Bunny Dinner... :)

Sorry that just jumped out.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 11:21:23 pm »
Congrats!! Must feel great! I am hunting this year for Elk for the first time with a stick bow and I am sure its a great feeling! Nice work, sounds like you worked for it and earned it!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 04:09:46 am »
Way to go man!!!!!!!!!!my only kill is a carp...bet yours tastes a lot better....congratulations, enjoy  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:21:27 pm »
Congratulations Youngbowyer,that's great. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 11:13:07 pm »
I love wingless chicken!  I always feel jumpy afterwards though. 

My first primitive kill was a cottontail, too.  Made sting silencers right there on the spot with the still quivering animal at my feet.  I ate that rabbit that night and shared it with my ol' Scully dog. 

Thanks for reminding me of one of the best days of my life,  thanks for sharing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.