Author Topic: who DOESN'T have a cell phone  (Read 3892 times)

Offline sonny

who DOESN'T have a cell phone
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:29:40 am »
I have a feeling that I'm certainly in the minority here but have yet to commit to getting a cell phone.
Sure there are cool things that you can do with a phone= GPS, various apps, texting hunting buddies to
let them know that a deer is headed that way for instance...
but I've heard a number of folks make the comment that they feel "tied" to their phone and lost without it,
which makes me wonder if I really want one or not.
compelling arguments for and against are welcome!

I'll make the first compelling argument for- it would be nice to have in case of an emergency while out hunting.
Surprisingly enough one of my buddies gets good service even on the farm that we hunt.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: who DOESN'T have a cell phone
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:11:42 pm »
Cell phones don't work where I live, nobody's.  Some folks can receive texts here, but can't send 'em.  My wife carries one that we got from her folks when she goes to town for emergencies, supposed to be for the school to get a hold of us if there is a problem @ school. but she never has it on so that blows that idea out of the water. 

I can't STAND people talking on thier phones and driving.  AHHHH!!!  HANG-UP and flippin' drive!!  I yell that out the window a lot.  >:( ;D ;)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 02:50:00 pm »
 I've never bought one. The one I have is paid for by the company I work for. I very seldom carry it when I'm not working. sometimes I'll throw it in my glove box in the Jeep when I'm out and about but usually it is turned off. And, I refuse to carry one with me when I'm hunting or in the woods.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 05:10:19 pm »
Like Mullet mine is paid fo by the company I work for. I have to have mine on at all times since I'm basically on call 24-7-365 except when I'm on vacation. I get relatively few calls that are work related, I actually get very few calls period unless there is a problem somewere in the company. As soon as the problem is over the flurry of calls stops. It's good for staying in touch with home when I'm on the road or for a rare brake down. As for the constant chattering that annoys people I don't do it.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:51:36 pm »
My cell phone is no longer primarily for making calls.  It's for taking pictures, uploading them to flickr, texting and reading the PA forum when I'm in deer and hog stands.  It actually rang twice today, very unusual.  Really helps me stay awake when we're hog hunting.  Very handy little thing.

George
St Paul, TX

youngbowyer

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 02:16:47 am »
I just use mine to call my mom to pick me up ::) now an iPod touch is a very handy little device;)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:52:16 pm »
I had one when they first came out, the kind that could double for a boat anchor, never used it and threw it away after a few years.

Personally I feel a cell phone robs most folk of their individuality, seems like they confer with other people on everything they do or place they go judging by how many people keep one stuck to their ear.

I don't want to be on an electronic leash, I don't want to be easily accessible to every Tom, Dick and Harry that decides to call me on a whim. I don't want a cell phone, made it 63 years without one, only a serious health issue would cause me to start carrying one.

And yep, I am an oddball, but an independent, self reliant oddball.

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 03:51:28 pm »
I'm with you Eric.....65 yrs without one. Me and my old buds threaten to throw anybody who brings one into the lake when fishing, and when huntin they get "patted-down" before they are allowed on the premises.

we gonna have to just manage to muddle-through anything that pops up, just like the last 64 years,.eh?
rich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 10:14:38 pm »
I carry mine while hunting.  It's nice to be able to text the wife when I am about ready to come in.  By the time I get to the house, lunch is ready for me.  And if I actually shoot something, I can call the brother-in-law and have him come out with his quad.  I am not addicted to mine.  It seldom rings and when it does, it's usually the wife.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:41:22 am »
I do not own a cell phone.
The company I work for provides all the engineers with one.  If I wanted to I could carry it all the time.  Most of the time it is in my desk turned off.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline frankg

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 09:01:17 pm »
I pitched mine after retiring . Land line is bad enough . For an emergancy I still have an antiquated CB radio :)
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 09:08:33 pm »
I don't own A cellphone either....... I own 5. My employees use most of them. The one I use is for business, and I would hate to be without it. I like being able to call the supply house to find out where my material is, or call the truck when they get lost. I no longer have a home phone because I get free long distance from the cell. I also get internet on my phone and use it as a hotspot for my laptop and Ipad.  :laugh:
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 09:15:45 pm »
I'm like Justin....I use mine as a hotspot for my laptop.  My job requires I have it and if I have to access information on my computer, I can use it to link up to the internet from anywhere.  I view PA 95% on my phone and I haven't had a home phone in 10 years.  Cell phones aren't just that...they are gaming devices (brickbreaker is a personal favorite), camera, MP3 player, etc.  Just like desktop's are slowing becoming a thing of the past, I believe laptops as they exist now probably will too.  I use to have a separate MP3 player and Palm, but what's the point now ???
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

eorr

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 10:16:27 am »
I make websites for a living and some of my clients laugh when they hear I don't have one.  They don't work where I live and for all things I hear they do to your brain and face it's not worth it to me.  Whenever I go out to eat and see everyone at the same table with phones stuck to their ears, I wonder if people are so far gone that they need them to communicate with the folks they're sitting with :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:14:41 am by eorr »

Offline johnston

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 02:03:23 pm »
Did not carry nor approve of personal cell phones til a couple years ago. Still don't like 'em but everything I do , I do alone with rare exception. My wife put her foot down and made me carry one while doing my stuff. Said she would hate to have a mule come home without me. She said something about me being selfish and hard headed too but I didn't catch it. ::)

Oh and she said I was an angel or something. Know it started with an "A".

So now I carry, mostly. Concealed of course.

Lane