Author Topic: Better than my last post  (Read 1254 times)

Offline GooseGossett

Better than my last post
« on: September 03, 2011, 10:48:22 pm »
I made myself a notch punch and although I didn't think before I started notching to start on the side that would stall first I went ahead.  Fairly nice and I'm starting to set up my platforms much better.  Helps a bunch.  I'm also doing jackcrafty's indirect method and I'm loving it.  Here's the final product from my afternoon.

1 John 3:18 "Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. "

Offline Tower

Re: Better than my last post
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 12:19:01 am »
That's a nice one. How difficult is that method.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 12:22:50 am »
Good one Goose! That'll penetrate some hide..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:46:06 am »
That's a nice one. How difficult is that method.

I think it's a lot easier for newbies like us.  I have not mastered big thinning flakes with it yet, can't seem to hit the tool hard enough.  I think I'll try a notched punch for that if I can find some larger diameter copper.  But, with a thinner spall, it works great.  What I need are some notching lessons. :)

Nice point GG!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline GooseGossett

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:50:13 pm »
Tower at first it was tough figuring out the angle and how to position the ishi stick.  Once I somewhat got it down I was able to drive flakes WAY past centerline without any problem.  I just have to watch out trying to go as fast as Jackcrafty does it on Youtube because I don't abrade like I should.  I find that I can get a longer flake when I push in with the ishi stick and hit instead of just placing it on top of the delta.  I'm sure that I'm just breaking the surface and Jack can probably add much more than what I know.  If I go chip this afternoon I'll try to give an example on how it work for this newbie.
1 John 3:18 "Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. "