Author Topic: working on osage, I have questions  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Blacktail

working on osage, I have questions
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:48 pm »
This is the first Osage I have ever worked on. It has a crack in the back that runs to the edge and I was wondering if you guys thought if I should sinew back it?  My other question is, I have to do a side to side bend on one of the limbs and I dont have a heat gun, so is steaming the wood ok? Thanks John.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: working on osage, I have questions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:53:06 pm »
Is that the sapwood?  If so, and you have enough depth, go down to the heartwood, that crack might just be in the sapwood.  If it is, be sure to seal the back when you get it chased, the stave might still be a little green.  Is it a board?  Sometimes you can superglue and clamp the crack back together and it will hold.  Sinew will definitely work, rawhide might as well, and you could wrap with thread too.

Steaming works fine, but I prefer dry heat...unless the wood is not seasoned.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:51:39 pm »
 hey George,its a stave....it is sap but a thin layer of it....i have one limb i need to straighten then i will super glue and clamp it...thanks for the info...i have to say that i didn't think i would like Osage because its alot harder than yew or vine...BUT,i like it alot...i like it so much i told my wife i wouldn't mind taking a trip back east to get some....john

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:00:25 pm »
I know some people leave osage sapwood on the bow, but I never do, and you might remove the crack if you take it off.  Anyway, combine your osage trip with a hog hunting trip down to Texas.. ;)  Of course, no guarantee it'll be straight... ;D  However, be prepared for some weight on the way home.  That stuff is HEAVY when it's green.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 12:27:15 am »
that is a good point about weight...i have to throw some rocks in the back too...thanks john

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 12:51:47 pm »
I second what George said. I only leave the sapwood on BL and osage when there isn't enough wood for all heartwood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline swtchbckshtr

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:52:56 pm »
what I did with my stave was built a lil camp fire,.. nothing huge just a small fire, I rubbed the stave down with vegetable oil and just run the stave back and forth over the fire until it was to hot to touch. and then bend til it cools. and just repeat until your happy. good luck with it

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 06:59:26 pm »
John I got my heat gun at harbor freight for 9.99 and it works awsome, high and low heat settings and I have put allot of hrs on it. Just for info
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:41:57 pm »
thats some great info and help...i will have to look into that heat gun josh...john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 11:45:19 pm »
Ya I use mine almost as much as I use my rasp its a great investment for a bow maker  :D Keep us updated on this project, ill be watching.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)