Author Topic: Hello from San Antonio  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Treelimb

Hello from San Antonio
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:39:05 pm »
Hi, my name is Jack and I’m from San Antonio.  I’ve been shooting a 45# White Wolf longbow since Christmas.  I started out shooting a compound in ’97. 

I can’t tell you what sparked my interest in traditional, but it was an itch I couldn’t get rid of for the last 5 years.  In the summer of ’10, I went to an archery shoot in Austin.  Two “strangers”, Mike and Kenny, let me walk with them as they shot.  They were more than willing to show me the ropes.  By the end of the day, I was hooked.  Thanks guys for being enablers! 

This year I built two board bows (Poor Folks).  The first at 30 lbs, by accident and the second 40 lbs on purpose.  I’m ready to start on the third!  If anyone in the SA area wants to do a build along at the same time, send me an email.  I’m also looking for someone to shoot with.  I can’t commit to an archery club because of my family and the job, but still want to get out more. 

Why Treelimb?  I'm the guy that always finds that underwater tree while fishing or invisible branch out in the woods.  Looking forward being part of the forum. Jack

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Hello from San Antonio
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:45:28 pm »
 Welcome to the Forum. I was in San Antonio last year for a day looking for rock. You won't have any trouble finding help on this site when you are ready to take bow building up another notch.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:55:31 am »
Welcome to PA!  Lots of nice people on here.  Enjoy the site!
1’—>1’

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:00:45 am »
Welcome Jack!  If you ever get up Dallas way give me a shout and I'll send you home with some osage.

We got a nice rain last night, a little over an inch...thank God.  Did it make it down your way?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Treelimb

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:56:58 pm »
George,  I might have to take you up on that!  I've got family all around the Dallas area. 

Rain, boy did we ever get the rain.  The official total was around 2.7 inches in 3 days.  You call that a gulley washer!  No one complained about the rain spoiling their weekend! 

Have a good one, Jack

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:11:59 am »
Good deal, you guys are drier than we are.  We got almost another half inch this morning.  Some of the cracks in the ground are starting to fill in.  It's more humid now though for sure.

Come up anytime, but check first so I can be sure to be home.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 11:05:29 pm »
Hey, Jack! I recently moved to New Braunfels, about 30 min north. I've only built one bow, but I'm ready to build another. If you want to try your hand at  Flintknapping I can help youi out a bit. I built a 38 lb at 28" bamboo backed hickory. It has a little set to it but it shoots great! Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:59:26 pm »
Welcome to the site Jack.  My parents live just above Tyler and I was born in Texas but grew up here in Oregon and still live up here.  There are several on this site that are in the Texas area. Glad to hear your hooked on Primitive. Trust me it just grows on you all the more and by the time you finish one bow you will be planning the next. Don't hesitate to ask for any help you need there are some great bowyers on this site willing to help.