Author Topic: Osage harvesting Questions?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Osage harvesting Questions?
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:04:58 pm »
I've got the opprotunity to harvest some osage in a land trust.  It is a non-native around here and they want it irradicated.  I've heard that there are about 100 of them in these woods.  My questions are, What am I looking for? and what do I do after harvesting.  Should I split them in the woods or wait.  What to seal with and so on?  Thanks for any help.  This is going to be happening pretty soon...I hope.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Osage harvesting Questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:02:38 pm »
Look for straight sections of the trunks or limbs.  Check the bark for any signs of twist.  I have noticed that osage trees that grow near sources of water have better rings.  Seal the ends as soon as you cut them.  If you can get the logs out without splitting them, go ahead.  You can always split them at home.  I usually cut them into lengths of 75"-80".  That allows extra for checks on the ends.  It also gives you some wiggle room if there are any hidden knots or other bad areas that you might have to design around.  Keep an eye out for any "Character pieces".  After you get them out, you have several options.  Some people split the logs in half or quarters and let them dry that way.  Some people go ahead and split them into staves and leave the bark and sapwood on them.  If you do that, make sure to spray them with some insect repeller.  I split them into staves and go ahead and remove the bark and sapwood.  They take up less storage room that way and are cleaner.  Plus when you are ready to build a bow, you can see the staves better and pick out the best one for what you are building.  If you remove the bark and sapwood, seal the backs as soon as you can.  Maybe try some each way and find out what works best for you.  Good luck and let us know what you get.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

Re: Osage harvesting Questions?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:00:59 am »
Derik, give me a call and let's see if we can get together and I can show you what to look for and more importantly, what's worth your time. You are hitting it full bore (primitive) and that's awesome! I can see you filling the freezer this year with your crafted gear. Call or leave me a #.

Take care Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956