Author Topic: Buckskin Quiver Care  (Read 9779 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Buckskin Quiver Care
« on: July 03, 2007, 10:13:46 pm »
I just completed a Plains style buckskin quiver.  The color is a natural color not dyed.  I was wondering if I should put anything on it to help keep it clean/water repellent? Any help would be much appreciated.

Rick
Traverse City, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Buckskin Quiver Care
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:53:02 pm »
If it's real buckskin, I wouldn't put anything on it. Is it smoked? I've got a brain-tan buckskin quiver I made several years ago and it still looks good after being carried around in the woods hunting and shooting, rain, snow, all kinds of nasty weather. With buckskin, the stuff it picks up over the years just adds to it's natural character.

PS-you realize that you can't tell us about it without showing us some pics-we're photo junkies lol.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:01:54 pm »
                What Hillbilly said. If its smoked the smoke has formeldehyde in it and will proect it. .........bob

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:42:42 pm »
I'm not sure if it was smoked.  I bought it from Moscow hide and fur.  As far as pictures, this message board thing is pushing my computer skills to their limit.  I'll have to have my wife show me how to put pics on.  The quiver isn't the prettiest but works well.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:47:45 pm »
If it is commercial buck skin with a sueded surface you don't want to use any oil on it. Maybe silicon spray waterproofing. If it has the grain still on the surface any oil you use will protect but will also darken some and if the residue isn't removed it will hold more dirt than not using anything at all. You could probably spray it also with the silicon spray.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 01:08:29 am »
  If it's commercial don't use oil ,like Pat said.You can dip it or brush it with 'hompson 'aterseal,  It works real good with commercial tanned leather.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Dale

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 10:44:05 am »
I've made more than a few plains style quivers with commercial elkhide from Crazy Crow and I have never put any kind of dressing/protection on them.  Never had a problem with this.

jamie

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 08:50:38 am »
even if its commercial id get some smoke on it. leather and smoke just make a great combo. plus it makes an awesome cover scent.

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 07:04:48 pm »
How would I go about smoking it?  A smoker or just over a fire?
Traverse City, MI

jamie

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 07:28:06 pm »
if its comercial and not brain tan just having it down wind of a smoky fire helps. if it was brain tan it is a whole different process.