Author Topic: Finally made a cane...  (Read 1466 times)

Offline sweeney3

Finally made a cane...
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:28:12 pm »
Well, I have been "making" (gluing together.  Fun, but not that involved.) arrows for several years now.  I have been wanting to start making cane arrows for my selfbows, but haven't got around to it.  This past spring, I cut a bunch of river cane from some roadsides here in Arkansas and did some straightening as it was drying over the spring and summer.  Today, I finally set about putting one together.  I didn't make it a fully "primitive" arrow, as I don't have all the fixins yet.  I wanted to see if the mechanics would work and if I could get it to make sense.  If this prototype worked out, I would tweak what needed it and make more.  If not, then I wouldn't have lost a lot of man-hours in assembly of a couple dozen only to find they all failed.  Needless to say, I was VERY pleased with the result.  The unfletched shaft shows better flight than my commercially purchased Sitka Spruce and POC shafts do when I am tuning them.  Just flawless flight and right where I was looking with no porpise, fishtail, or kick.  I then just slapped some commercial feathers on with tape and it was even better. 

For what it's worth, the shaft is *mostly* straight rivercane cut this spring.  I sanded it with pretty rough grit paper.  Used an old repurposed Sitka Spruce shaft to whittle-to-fit a forshaft of about 4 or 5 inches.  I glued this in with Gorilla Glue and wrapped the joint with artificial sinew/Gorilla Glue.  I then cut a shallow selfnock and smothed it out with a file and sandpaper.  This was reinforced with artificial sinew and Gorilla Glue.  I used a 145 gn field point and figured that if it was terrible, I could go either up or down from there.  I needn't have worried.  It flew just fine. 

NOW, that I know I can handle the mechanics, the nuts and bolts, I feel okay about going ahead and diving in to create fully or almost fully primitive cane shafts.  Just another bit of fun to be had in the bowhunting world.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: Finally made a cane...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:02:59 pm »
an we see one ? ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Finally made a cane...
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 02:28:26 am »
Where does river cane grow?  Is it found up north as far as say Iowa?