Author Topic: Quilted Maple Caper  (Read 4051 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Quilted Maple Caper
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 12:26:07 am »
I was drawing out a bow profile on a stave and wanted to sharpen the pencil a little.  Sharpened a little nick in my thumb.  I smiled real big when it happened, it was kinda like the knife telling me she wasn't just pretty...but she had a bite, too.   >:D

Everyone I've shown it to has drooled over it just like I did when I opened the package. 

Curt, I've told you this in private, I might as well say it in public.  That knife exceeds ALL my expectations.  Fit and finish is flawless, no exaggeration, just fact.  The mosaic pin is gorgeous, round tubing, square tubing, solid pins, all coming together in a very pleasing pattern.  Even the simple sheath is a work of art in it's execution and it's function.  The simplicity of the blade locking flap attached to the neck thong is only exceeded by it's functionality. 

I had apprehension when you posted the private message telling me how you had "ebonized" the wood.  I had asked it be unfinished.  My mistake.  This ebonized finish is gorgeous!  It's going to match with the boiled blue finish on my flintlock (if I ever get it done).  Heck, I am even contemplating doing an ebonized finish to the super A-Plus curly maple stock of the gun, even though it would be pretty non-traditional!

I am generally a very miserable so-n-so that can find fault with everything (had I been there when Jesus turned water into wine I would have compared it unfavorably with the vintage from back in 19 BC which had a better tannin structure and a more complex nose).  I got nothing here folks, can't find a thing to crab about. 

Again, Curt, thank you. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: Quilted Maple Caper
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 12:42:15 am »
That really means a lot, John.  I love it when a fella is as happy with the knife as I was making it for him.  Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any problems.  And be sure to post some pics of that flintlock when it's done!  :)

Regards,

Curt
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17