Author Topic: Processing sinew - back sinew seems greasy??  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Processing sinew - back sinew seems greasy??
« on: September 10, 2011, 01:04:13 am »
I was out in the garage tonight wanting to attempt my first knife with an old tablesaw blade.  Then I realized it was carbide tipped and wondered if the rest of the steel could be hardened.  I got one tip red hot and quenched it, the tried to snap it off with a hammer.  It just bent...  ::)

So that led to my next project - processing some sinew I saved from the whitetail buck I got.  I started with one of the shorter front leg pieces and that went well.  Then I tried some back sinew.  When I removed it from the carcass, I took care to remove all the meat and that slimy connective tissue stuff.  When I smashed it up and started pulling it apart, it felt really greasy.  Is there something I can do to remove  the grease, or should I just not use it?

Offline sonny

Re: Processing sinew - back sinew seems greasy??
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 09:48:02 am »
wash it with some dish detergent.
I recently added some backstrap sinew to a bow and the sinew felt a little greasy,
so washed with dish detergent, rinsed thoroughly and then glued....simple as that.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:18:41 am »
That's kind of what I was thinking, but didn't know if it would adversely effect the sinew.  Thanks!

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 12:04:22 pm »
let me add that you may want to wash it JUST before you plan to use it.
once sinew gets wet it tends to get a little wiry (stiff) when dry. not really sure why
but that's what happens....likely has something to do with the natural glue being
"activated" then drying up stiff.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:48:42 am »
Back sinew seems more greasy to me as well. I dont do anything to it besides gluing it to my bows. It hasnt let loose yet. I use TBIII on all my sinew work, hide glue may require degreasing?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 01:09:55 pm »
I wash all sinew in Dawn dish liquid and warm water before using it to degrease it. A good rince in fresh water and it is good to go into the hide glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC