Author Topic: Where to find an affordable warbow  (Read 20924 times)

Timmah

Where to find an affordable warbow
« on: July 04, 2007, 03:54:49 am »
Hello All,

I am desperately searching for somewhere to purchase an affordable warbow. Myself and several friends have been searching high and low for a good bow. I know of a few makers like Pip Bickerstaffe but unfortunately his prices are in pounds and with our current exchange rate a bow + shipping will cost in excess of $1500. *urghh*

A few relevant facts that may affect your answer:
I am in Australia;
I am looking for 100#-120# draw weight;
I would prefer to stick with a yew selfbow or backed yew bow but will stoop to laminations if absolutely necessary;
And i would like to keep it under $1000AUD including shipping etc.

I know what your going to say... "Make it yourself" and believe me I have tried. A pile of broken bits of timber and a few hits to the head have made me consider the expensive option ;-)

Cheers Guys,
Tim

MalV

Re: Where to find an affordable warbow
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 04:56:02 am »
Timmah,
where abouts in Australia are you from?
are you and your friends part of a club? or just a group of like minded warbow enthusiasts?
I am in Perth.
Cheers,
Mal.

stevesjem

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 05:35:17 am »
Hi Timmah

I can help you with a laminated warbow.

PM me if you are interested

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:53:39 pm by J. D. Duff »

Offline ratty

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 03:25:17 pm »
Timmah,greetings from sunny and warm calif have you tried rudderbows,he has bows that are done the way you want and you do all the finish work very nice or he can finish a bow for you,bacsically its what you want Terry J Ceres CALIF

just had a look at rudderbows  :D thats not a warbow 65# at 31" lol  ;D

lol :D

id stick with stevesjem they are much better ;)

SimonUK

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 06:20:29 pm »
I had a look at rudderbows too. It's quite a flat bow - I'm sure it works well, but it's not an english warbow for sure.

It seems you can order one with a drawlength of 10 inches!

duffontap

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 04:00:47 pm »
Just a reminder guys--no advertising your bows, or other people's bows on this forum unless you are a paying advertiser.  Please communicate through Private Messages if you are a bowyer, or would like to suggest one.  Thanks!

J. D.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 05:25:14 pm »
Did he manage to hit the house or did it get away ???

Glennan

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 06:09:48 pm »
I just missed; but it was very close. ;D

bruce wilcock

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 07:58:34 pm »
did the bare foot approch help you get so close,

SimonUK

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 08:19:14 pm »
The joke on the old forum was that he had to sell his shoes to buy the bow  :D  I know i'd sell mine to have a bow like that...

Offline markinengland

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 10:14:03 am »
Making a warbow isn't that hard. Why not let us talk you through it? If I can do it OK I reckon anyone can.
A laminated bow is a good place to start. A good bit of Ipe, glue on a hickory backing, make it about an inch and a quarter wide and same deep at the handle, taper in width and depth to half inch or maybe 5/8ths at the tips, round the edges, make it maybe 74 inches long, use a walky talky stick to check for an even bend, gradually tiller to your full draw length keeping an even bend and almost be accident you end up with the classic full arc warbow.
I would never buy a bow now when all it takes it some time and patience to mkae one. You can do it. You have already done the ground work of breaking a few! Why not have another go?
Mark in England

Garry

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 11:27:58 am »

What Mark is saying is true, except in Canberra ipe is not easy to get (read you will have to import).
Tim, I am also from Canberra and have made a few warbows, laminating is the easy part, finding good quality wood is the challenge in Oz. I suggest you head down to M@#$%& Timbers in Fyshwick and have a look. (JD, hope this satisfies your advertising rules).
I spent three years building a pile of wood splinters, now I reap the benifits of my toil. I have taught a few blokes how to make bows in build-alongs so they did not have to go through the pain that I did, will be willing to show you and your mates a few of the tricks on how to make bows instead of fueling the BBQ!
Also, to prevent the bang on the head I ALWAYS wear a helmet when testing a stave. I learnt that lesson early on, thrice! ::)
Hope you get your warbow, loosing an arrow from a warbow is one of the joys in life!
Gaz

SimonUK

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 12:35:49 pm »
Someone in Oz was telling me that you can use some local timbers for bows ...red ash I think (which apparently isn't a true ash) and eucalyptus possibly. I'm sure there must be others too. Otherwise head for M@#$%& Timbers as Garry suggests.

duffontap

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 04:13:44 pm »
Timmah,

If you're interested in reading a tutorial on building a war bow, check out this link.  I did this thread last year while I was building my first 'real' war bow.  It should tell you most of what you'ld need to know.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,863.0.html

J. D. Duff

MalV

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 07:07:04 am »
Tim,
I would recommend that you take advantage of Garry's local knowledge, and take him up on his offer to help you and your mates. There is a lot that you can learn from guys like JD, his build along is a great read, and makes it look simple, but does not show the years of work to get to that level.  Having someone with you as you put steel to wood will go a long way to ensuring that your first effort at warbowyery (new word?) gets close to the mark.
I have seen Garry's warbows, and have taken advantage of his knowledge in the past. So get in touch with him, as he won't be living in Canberra for ever.
Why buy when you can make yourself? that way its 'your' warbow, and not someone elses that you now use!

Cheers,
Mal