Author Topic: Where to find an affordable warbow  (Read 21049 times)

duffontap

Re: Where to find an affordable warbow
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 03:07:56 pm »
Tim,
I would recommend that you take advantage of Garry's local knowledge, and take him up on his offer to help you and your mates. There is a lot that you can learn from guys like JD, his build along is a great read, and makes it look simple, but does not show the years of work to get to that level.  Having someone with you as you put steel to wood will go a long way to ensuring that your first effort at warbowyery (new word?) gets close to the mark.
I have seen Garry's warbows, and have taken advantage of his knowledge in the past. So get in touch with him, as he won't be living in Canberra for ever.
Why buy when you can make yourself? that way its 'your' warbow, and not someone elses that you now use!

Cheers,
Mal

Good advice.

Timmah

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 11:22:40 pm »
Thanks for the replys guys.

I already know Garry which is the funny thing. If I can get some guidance I'm sure to save myself some cash. I think Garry has already seen a few of my attempts as well.

Cheers Guys,
Tim

Garry

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 05:09:01 am »
So your that TIM! Thought you might have been.
Haven't seen you around for a while, Looks like we have some warbow building to do. I can't be the only one at the club who shoots a warbow. Will contact you off line. To all the other posts, thanks for all the help and I will get Tim sorted out and into warbows!  ;D

Garry

Garry

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 05:10:57 am »
Hey Mal, hows the 100# Elm warbow going?

MalV

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 12:01:02 pm »
sweet bro,
good feeling to finally use what I have made, (Tim, you're next),
but my shoulders are feeling it today. A shame I didn't have any 33" arrows made, had to settle with 29" draw.

Just need to make some 1000gr arrows now. I have some nice jarrah that will work well. Do you want some more shafts while I'm at it?
I'll start on that FF flemish string for you in the next couple of days.

That elm is nice to work with. Will get some more, as it is the only elm to be had in West Oz, you still want some?

Cheers,
Mal

Offline jpitts

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 12:52:32 am »
MalV,
Could you give me the demensions of your ELM bow? I have an elm stave that I'd love to coax into a ELB/Warbow.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

MalV

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 09:44:03 am »
As requested jpitts, (name unknown)
All measurements are close approximations, as I converted from metric for you.

The Wood:
Elm, possibly English, grown in Perth, Australia, Mediterranean climate. Summer to 45 C (? F) winter down to 0 C (? F). No rain in summer.
Cut from slab milled from trunk of felled tree. Age, girth unknown. Back of stave reduced to single clean growth ring.
Fairly straight with slight reflex at handle, and slight kinks causing deflex for outer third of each limb, resulting in 1" reflex before and zero set after tillering.
Growth ring width about 5-7mm, MC about 10%.

The Bow:
Length 78.5” NTN
Handle 1.5” above and 2.5” below centre.
Width at handle 1 7/16” and about 1 3/16 thick.
Parallel 20” above and below centre, width at 20” above and below centre 1 7/16”.
Taper slightly from 20” to 29” above and below centre. Width at 29” above and below centre is 1 1/4”.
Sharper taper from 29” to nock. Nocks are 1/2” with horn fitted.

The result so far:
Shot in with 100 arrows up to 29” drawlength.
Weight is 100# @ 32”
Small tillering adjustments yet to be done. Poss including piking 1” from lower limb. Uneven reflex and deflex in stave creating challenge in tillering.  Just taking it slow and should end up with good result.

Please don’t ask for photos, will only post them if I’m happy with the end result. Anyway, just looks like a white stick with string.

Thanks to JD for the advice contained in your buildalong.

Cheers,

Mal
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 10:23:03 pm by MalV »

Offline jpitts

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 08:51:07 pm »
Thanks MalV,
This gives me a better ides of what to shoot for. I have a 74" red elm stave That I want to make into my first ELB.
BTW.....my name is Jimmy   ;D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Garry

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 04:27:14 am »
Started Tim off with his build-along today, White Oak. Used my super quick bow design so he is up to braced bow in 3 hours. It should come in at about 80-90#. Had a slight problem with a hinge in the tillering so 100#+ is not possible. The smaller bows that Tim has already made is a real advantage as he already understands how to make a bow just needed to be shown what happens when you try to tiller a stronger stave. I then took him out to shoot the 120# Yew warbow, just to get him motivated and to see a real arrow go 215m (235yards). I guess the 80-90# bow will be good for him to build up to a real warbow ;D
And as to affordable, all up cost, AU$35.00 (US$30). better than $1500!!!

Garry