Author Topic: too many people!! (still fun)  (Read 1789 times)

Offline recurve shooter

too many people!! (still fun)
« on: September 11, 2011, 11:13:53 pm »
spent the weekend hunting dove at a wma not far from here. showed up at about 5 am on saturday and walked out into the big field, and it looked like a string of christmas lights strung around that field, with all the people set up with their light on to let others know where they are. finaly wedged myself in a spot and sat down and waited. the little field was maby 8-10 acres, with an old fence row with some trees running right down the middle. the whole perimeter of the field was dotted with a shooter roughly every 30 yards, there was another string, same spacing, down the old fence row down the middle of the field, and maby 20 people who couldnt wedge themselves into the outside edges of the field, just unfolded their chairs and sat right in the middle. however the birds were flying very well, everyone shot.... a lot! i shot a box in maby 3 hours, most shot more. but no one shot at a low bird, no one argued over who's bird it was, everyone actually got along very well, lots of jokeing and teasing and "good shot!" yells. it was fun, but not my thing. the rest of the weekend i hunted a field that you had to walk a mile or so to. only 4 other hunters over there. much better.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: too many people!! (still fun)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 01:18:20 pm »
I go to the WMA's here in SC dove hunting.  It is good shooting just like you say a lot of folks.  It is not for everybody.  I do enjoy it for the most part.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 03:14:25 pm »
 When I had my Chocolate Lab I didn't mind hunting with a lot of people. She didn't care who shot what, she'd bring them all to me. Never had a problem getting a limit. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 05:09:29 pm »
Try opening day of trout season in Philadelphia... Shoulder to shoulder, torrid screams from drunk people... what a mess. I dont bother anymore.
Its only wood

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:31:22 pm »
I've never enjoyed any public hunting of fishing. I prefer to be by myself or with just a few friends. Never trusted being in an area with lots guns and lots of "public"!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:34:21 pm »
 I deer and hog hunt a Public Mngt area here. It is 48,000 acres and I know where to go and get away from the weekend hunters. After you wade across a couple of waist deep swamps,  Mountain bike  3-4 miles from your vehicle, the only people you see are like minded and go the other way when they see you, then it's not crowded. You'd be amazed at all the people hunting from stands on a main trail or road 100 yds from their truck with  a GPS to find their way back. ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Bohunter0908

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:26:48 pm »
i hunt public lands here in the Lone Star and it gets a lil crowded but lucky for those of us real hunters
that use sticks and stings my prefered wma has archery only areas . i also duck on wma land and that sometimes does get crowded but if you man up and march the marsh you can avoid the crowds and get a limit
                                     -Bo-
                             Laporte , TEXAS
Take a kid hunting today and you won't
Have to hunt for the kid tomorrow

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:18:56 am »
 Bo;
That's what I'm talking about. ;)
Lakeland, Florida