Author Topic: How to make Knox glue?  (Read 70995 times)

Offline Dane

How to make Knox glue?
« on: July 05, 2007, 08:07:41 am »
Can anyone explain the process of making glue from Knox gelatin? I've searched this site, and also read through TBB Vol. 1, but can't find that info.

Thanks,

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Mickey

Re: How to make Knox glue?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 09:08:44 am »
Knox Gellatin by Tim Hamblin

The Knox comes in a small box with 3 or 4 envelopes. Enough to do the bow.  About a buck 80. Put one envelope in a measuring cup, add 1/4 cup  water and nuke in the MW for about 20 seconds. Maybe 30. Just before it starts getting froth on it. I then put it in a small stainless bowl and set on the
warmer of an old coffee maker that I cut the tank off of. That's it. The 1 envelope should last you thru one session.

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 09:58:38 am »
Man, easier than falling off the proverbial log. Thanks, Mickey.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 12:07:26 pm »
I used two packets in a cup of water this last time.  It seemed to do the trick, and thinner is easier to work with.  You also want to periodically add a bit of water to the glue, it seems to need that.  I think some stuff in the sinew dissolves in it when you dunk it in, and that and the evaporation makes it thicken.  Also very important to add the Knox to cold water and let it hydrate, if you add to hot water it clumps and is a bear to get dissolved completely.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 02:37:47 pm »
I just about gave in to the dark side this morning.  I was going to whip up a batch of glue from the Knox.  Then I decided it wouldnit be right for my little project.  I went out where some of the ranchers dump their dead cows and knocked the shell of the hooves and brought it home.  I smashed it up really small with a hammer. Now it is cooking on the burner in the back yard.  ;D  That ought to make Bob proud.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 03:16:55 pm »
I have people who do that for me.  They work at Knox Inc.  But I'll admit, you are more primitive than me.

Is it soup yet? How's the smell?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 05:06:39 pm »
This is an big project.  If I'm going to do it all myself. Then I better do the glue the hard way too.  It does smell a little, but not really bad.  I crushed it to about like a course table salt.  Ill be sinewing with it in a minute.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 05:34:37 pm »
Tim Baker said you couldn't make glue from hooves?  Or, did I read something wrong?

J. D.

Offline samuraiwarrior

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 05:36:27 pm »
Justin, what exactly did you use from the animal.  The hoof is a keratin protein like fingernails.  It will not make a glue like you hope.  You need to use the hide/connective tissues/tendons which have collagen in them to make the glue.  As for knox, I cover the powder with cold water for about an hour and then heat it up.  After it melts I'll adjust consistency to what I like.

Bikewer

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 06:15:38 pm »
I used Knox to apply the snakeskin backing on my osage bow, found it very easy to do.    I just used one of those cheap foam paintbrushes to apply.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 08:19:23 pm »
You know guys. You don't need to boil your hides or sinew down for glue. Just put a roast or chicken in the oven with some water and after awhile pour off the water. You will have some glue and diner at the same time. :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 09:19:11 pm »
Justin, I was also under the impression that hooves wouldn't make glue. Hide or sinew scraps should work a lot better.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 09:30:59 pm »
Marc, I love the way you think.  You could always eat the rawhide after you boil it.  ;) It might require a little salt and pepper.

As for using hooves....they have been used to make glue for 9600 years at least.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoof_glue
Keratin is a protein collagen is in all connective tissue.  We treat our horses hooves regularly when they get to dry to keep the collagen healthy.  Justin
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:24:33 am by Justin Snyder »

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 11:41:45 pm »
  Along the same thought as Marc.Just get a canned ham,make a sandwich and scrape off the gelatin.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 11:54:50 pm »
According to John T. Kramer, Antiques Doctor & Apothecary (that is a fancy word for a chemist for us rednecks) The glue is made from boiled and purified hooves and sinew from horses and oxen.  This type was the primary glue for carpenters. Ironically, the older the animal the stronger the glue.  ;D   Justin

SW Utah