Author Topic: How to make Knox glue?  (Read 71011 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to make Knox glue?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 01:08:54 am »
So, is it glue yet? ::)      I'll stick with Knox. ;D  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 01:27:38 am »
Shame on you Pat. Think of the aroma you could send the neighbors.  ;D  As a matter of fact it is.  You could really glue yourself to your work.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 01:33:11 am »
You shouldn't even need an artificial heat source these days. Just set a pot of water in the yard...should be boiling in a few minutes.  ;)   How's the roofing business these days? ::)       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 09:44:03 am »
Reading the back of a carton of Davis Gelatine it says: Gelatine derived from New Zealand Beef Skin, Perservative 220.  -sounds like hide glue to me
In my experience, Davis Gelatine works just as well as Knox, and both work at least as well as hide glue (and smell better).
I have tried to make glue from ground up hooves, maybe I was doing something wrong, but all i got was dirty scummy water

james

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 10:54:46 am »
I bought a generic version of Knox and it worked fine.  The grocery store I was at last, didn't jack up the price on the Knox so I bought the brand name.  Whatever is cheapest you know.

I made some glue out of my sinew scraps, but I was told not to use it for sinewing since the temp needed to heat it was higher.  So I dried it and have it saved for some other gluing project that may come along.

Aren't Elmers type school glues made from hooves?  Or do they boil the whole horse?  They always say an old horse is headed for the glue factory.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

duffontap

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 01:19:23 pm »
Marc, I love the way you think.  You could always eat the rawhide after you boil it.  ;) It might require a little salt and pepper.

As for using hooves....they have been used to make glue for 9600 years at least.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoof_glue
Keratin is a protein collagen is in all connective tissue.  We treat our horses hooves regularly when they get to dry to keep the collagen healthy.  Justin

How come Tim Baker was so adamant that glue could not be made from hooves?  He said in the glue chapter that hoof glue was a total myth.

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 03:51:33 pm »
Marc, I love the way you think.  You could always eat the rawhide after you boil it.  ;) It might require a little salt and pepper.

As for using hooves....they have been used to make glue for 9600 years at least.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoof_glue
Keratin is a protein collagen is in all connective tissue.  We treat our horses hooves regularly when they get to dry to keep the collagen healthy.  Justin

How come Tim Baker was so adamant that glue could not be made from hooves?  He said in the glue chapter that hoof glue was a total myth.

J. D. Duff
You are asking the wrong people that question.   ??? ??? ??? ???
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 12:51:30 am »
OK, for some usefull information.  If you don't have a warming pot to keep your "animal glue" from jelling.  A candle warmer works great.  It takes a few minutes to warm up, but it will keep it warm without getting to hot.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 01:01:43 am »
I bought a miniature electric crock pot from Wally World for about $6 that I use.  I found it in with the candles and scents and I think it is used for scented oils. Keeps the hide glue at a perfect temp and has a lit to help prevent evaporation. I still add water as needed...and it has a nice floral design on it. ;D    Pat

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2007, 01:14:19 am »
                                       Guess Iam pretty "backward" :D I have a ole' cast iron pot that I make fish glue in on a firepit in backyard. When glue is ready I take off grate add 2 cinder blocks ta raise put pot back on and it keeps glue just right. Course cant do bows when it rainin' >:( ;D......bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2007, 01:49:29 am »
I accidentally got some boiling.  :'( Then I saw the wife's candle warmer sitting next to the stove.  ;D I could just go outside, then I wouldn't need a heater, but it is sure hard to concentrate.  Our low last night was 94*.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2007, 02:51:11 am »
                                Is 'round 90 + * durin' day, 80 +* at nite. BUT the humidity is 80-90 + % most of the time. :o Yup, sure is uncomfortable standin' by firepit makes ya wanna have a brew er 2 er 3 ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ..............Burp !..... ;D.bob

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2007, 05:54:25 pm »
Here its sunny and 75 degrees with a light breeze and low humidity...kinda chilly actually!  ;D  Could still use a beer though!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2007, 07:00:52 pm »
I've used the Davis gelatine and found it to be even better than the Knox. A nice clear golden color
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2007, 11:40:50 pm »
I think that the thought that glue is derived from hooves is that glue may have been made from the lower legs of animals and it was presumed the hooves were the main source. While there is perhaps a small collagen component to the hoof wall of animals I don't know that just boiling the hoof material is the way to go.
 How did the glue turn out Justin?
 Pat