Author Topic: what the?  (Read 8642 times)

jamie

what the?
« on: July 05, 2007, 08:53:59 am »
o.k. its regional and seasonal. im in the northest. the black stuff on the end is pitch and this piece was used as a demonstration. bout 6" long made from knotwead.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: what the?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 09:23:46 am »
Tap to collect Maple sap so Maple syrup can be made from the sap???

Just my guess.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:46:03 pm »
 Got any flapjacks and eggs with hot sauce ;D......bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 03:17:01 pm »
Jamie, Is the pitch there for a reason? is that a hint?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 03:58:49 pm »
Japanese Knotweed, classified as a class 2 noxious weed. If you see it destroy it on site! Knotweed is known to clog wetlands and destroy viable wildlife habitat. Its was imported as a garden plant and got loose and is in the Kudzoo class that has ravaged the east coast. DESTROY ON SITE!!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

jamie

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 04:30:04 pm »
yup its a tap and the pitch just holds it in place with a forked stick underneath for support.

good luck killing knotwead. you can slow it down but you'll never kill it.
we dug out about 16' deep and 20' into a bank for a new medical buildings parking area and the stuff came back up from underneath the asphalt. ive also found that it does provide shelter and support for some of the indegeious species that other wise would be covered over by poison ivy , golden rod , etc. plants like solomons seal , jack in the pulpit and groundnut thrive near it. just gotta start eating eat along with the kudzu. lol

ive got another post i'll put up later but typing sucks cause i fractured my hand again.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 07:18:12 pm »
Well what do you know I was right!!!!
I have never seen Maple Syrup made.
And as far as I know there is no Maple Syrup made in this area.

From what I have read large amounts of Water can be tapped out of a Sycamore tree.  (Gallons per day)
Put that on my list of things to try someday.

Jamie: You ever made Maple Syrup??
David Key / N.W. Alabama

jamie

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 07:34:16 pm »
yeah dave ive done it many times. we demo it every year at a local museum . we rock boil it . takes forever for nothing. i actually prefer to gather the sap boil it about 50% and use it for tea water. just add whatever you want, sweet fern, wintergreen , mint, sassafrass is the best and you have sweetened tea. birch can also be tapped. takes a lot more sap than sugar maple and sugar maple takes a lot. i think its like 55 to 1. so 55 gallons of sap from a maple will give you 1 gallon of syrup. this year i didnt make any but i usually make a quart and then boil some for sugar.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 07:40:43 pm »
55 to 1!!! Good Night,  Well now I know why it cost so much in the grocery store.
We get a lot better return on our molasses down here.  Yum Good.  Try it in Oatmeal.

How is your hand doing ??

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

jamie

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 07:49:39 pm »
old wound that got hit hard. im kinda gettin used to it. i get busted up every year and heal up in the winter.

makete

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 07:32:03 am »
We make maple syrup every year. Takes about 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. Birch is about 80 to 1. Hard work but lots of fun also.