Author Topic: what the #2  (Read 62494 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: what the #2
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2007, 12:56:41 pm »
 Ding-ding-ding a weiner ! Eddie is correct its Quercus virginiana er live oak. Pat has most of the "just the facts maam". Eddie is right deer down here will hardly eat em. Game down here luvs Quercus laurifolia (laurel oak) 'curns aka swamp laurel oak an water oak. Acorn flour made from live oak acorns seems ta have more tannic acid than laurels maybe thats why ? Hawgs, deer,putt-putt's, treerats,  quail an ducks luv em'. Live oaks are often used as ormanmental trees in "surburban" (GASP) >:( neighborhoods nowdays............bob
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:16:56 pm by Kowechobe »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2007, 01:07:08 pm »
The live oak is probably my favorite tree of all. The deer, and most other critters, love to eat the live oak acorns, then the water oaks. We had very few white oaks there and deer wouldn't touch them.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2007, 05:58:19 pm »
  Pat, you live oak acorns must taste different than ours.I bit into one once and couldn't spit it out fast enough and long enough. :D Deer won't hardly touch them here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2007, 06:02:11 pm »
Eddie, There are plenty of things that deer find paletable that I don't and vice versa. The wood ducks and mallards loved them also.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2007, 06:10:49 pm »
Here is the secret to eating Acorn, and many other nuts. Leeching! You nead to grind them to a flour put them in a cheese cloth bag and soak them in water a few times rinsing between soaking. This leeches out the tannins and makes for oh so good nut flours!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill