Author Topic: Deer hides  (Read 3713 times)

Offline mspink

Deer hides
« on: December 14, 2011, 06:44:55 pm »
Hey guys, got two deer hides and maybe a third on the way. Need to know what you guys do with them if you are just going to use them for backing bows. Thats all i plan on doing with them. All i have is 2 by 4's and screws. I think i just need to stretch them out scrape the flesh and fur  and let it dry right. Let me know if i am way off
Aim small miss small!

Offline Will H

Re: Deer hides
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:26:04 pm »
You need to flesh the hides before you put them on a rack to stretch and dry. Then you have to "dry scrape" the hair off. Theres some real good info over at paleoplanet on the subject.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/forums/5/Leather-Hides-amp-Tanning#.TulVBZjGekQ
Hope this helps  :) :) :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 05:11:46 pm »
I strecth the hide on aframe, then flesh it immedietely. You can always go over again later if you find that u missed some. After 3-4 days u can turn it around and start dry scraping the hair off. This is not a hatd process, but somewhat time consumin. I have a good handmade scraper that has proved perfect for this work. Without it, I'm not sure if I would be inclined to waste my time on it. I've also used stones for this and prefer my steel scraper.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:00:07 am »
I always flesh it first ,right off the deer or if I have to wait I will soak it so it is soft.
Then stretch it on the rack,let it dry a few day hair side to the sun if possible then
dry scrape.Then you have rawhide or ready to tan into buckskin/leather. :) :) Here
are a few pictures of the process.I us a draw knife for fleshing,it is pretty quick work.Kind of like chasing a growth ring to get the meat/fat and menbrain all off at the same time. :) With a little practice it's not to bad a job. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:52:14 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mspink

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 08:37:28 pm »
Do you have to get the hair off before it dries or can u wait till after?
Aim small miss small!

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:12:17 pm »
dry scrape = after it's dry! (not tryin' to be a smart&$$)
that's why they scrape some of the hair off in that zig-zag pattern- so that the
hide will dry thoroughly.

hopefully they'll correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they flesh 'em wet,
the dry scrape the hair off.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 07:20:33 am »
What Sonny said.after it is racked let it dry hair side toward the sun if possible.It will tighten up and then you can scrape it.If you try and scrape it while it is still wet or not fully dry if will try and waffle board on you. :) No real hurry after you get it racked and it dries to get the hair off.I have left them for a month or 2. I would rather not do that but sometimes things get in the way and they really don't hurt,all they are at that point is rawhide with the hair on. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:51:06 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nlester

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 12:37:59 pm »
What Sonny said.after it is racked let it dry hair side toward the sun if possible.It will tighten up and then you can scrape it.If you try and scrape it while it is still wet or not fully dry if will try and waffle board on you. :) No real hurry after you get it racked and it dries to get the hair off.I have left them for a month or 2. I would rather not do that but sometimes things get in the way and they really don't hurt,all they are at that point is rawhide with the hair on. :)
   Pappy

Pappy,
What are you using to dry scrape with?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 12:48:59 pm »
It is a bought scraper I got from a tanning co. Not sure the name.I tried to make several but this works much better than the ones I made. It is basically a rounded blade mounted at an angle on a handle.I will try and get a better picture of it when I get back to the cabin. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nlester

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 01:08:53 pm »
Sounds good.  Thanks Pappy!

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 01:48:17 pm »
the easiest way i,ve found to remove hair,and i assume you want rawhide, is to throw the whole thing in container of water. no fancy solutions or anything.let set about three days and check for slippage. if no check tomorrow.stinks like hell but,is much easier to scrape.may wrinkle some but smooths right out on bow backs.i also use it on squirrel hides for bowstrings.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 10:08:16 pm »
When you slip the hair wet, whether with plain water or lye added you are starting the hide on the way to rotting. After five days in the water I have found nothing but hair and stinky jello. JMO, I think it weakens the hide.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 10:22:30 am »
I do also Eddie,but lots of people do it that way.Here are some pictures of the tool in case you want to replicate it.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 11:28:17 pm »
What Pappy said is dead on.
 Here is a link to the place to buy a scraper like the one pappy uses.

http://w ww.braintan.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY& Store_Code=1&Category_Code=Tools
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:00:45 am by Pappy »
Mililani Hawaii