Author Topic: Fixin' to put in a wood stove. Questions?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Fixin' to put in a wood stove. Questions?
« on: September 17, 2011, 04:17:55 pm »
We have a modular home that had a fireplace insert, it wasn't doing what we needed it to, so I removed it and the fake corner wall that it was set in.  The room is 384 squ. feet, 3072 cubic ft. 

I plan on laying cement board on the floor and up the walls a ways in the corner.  Gonna tile the floor, but probably mosaic the walls.  Anybody got any hints or ideas? The area is already set up w/ double wall pipe going thru the ceiling.

We want a stove that we can cook on, not w/ the removable burners and all, but something w/ a flat top that we can put a skillet or a pot.  Anybody got a favorite stove brand, model, type and why?  Any help would be appreciated.  I got the wall and stove out yesterday, now I'm ready for the next step.

Thanks Y'all, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Fixin' to put in a wood stove. Questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 04:37:18 pm »
 Here's what I did. I bought the stove at a yard sale for $60. The base and back wall is concrete blocks filled with sand, then I grouted flagstones into the floor and wall.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 05:04:34 pm »
I have been heating primarily with a wood heater for almost 35 years. I still have my original Fisher Momma Bear I bought used for $100. They are out of business now but the stoves are made out of 1/4" plate steel and some are still around. For your house a Baby Bear would probably be plenty. We heat 2000sq ft with the Momma Bear.   I have mine sitting on a tiled insert in our hardwood floor and the back heat shield is a sheet of 18ga black steel with 1" on both sides bent in to form a air space behind it. It is attached to the wall studs with the bottom about 3" above the floor. Air flows behind the heat shield keeping it cool to the touch. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:09:57 pm »
Thanks for the replys.  I like the ideas.  Any more out there?
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)