Author Topic: Tips for an amatuer?  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Tips for an amatuer?
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:28:42 am »
This coming season will be my first season out with a homemade traditional bow, in fact it will be my first season doing any serious hunting with a bow. I'll be taking out my recently completed maple longbow this year with hopes of taking a whitetail. Anything I should know about traditional bow hunting that might save me a bit of grief or frustration?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Tips for an amatuer?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:55:24 am »
The equipment has no limitations, but know yours. (Only shoot at distances you are comfortable with.)
Aim small miss small.
Be patient.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 01:10:16 am »
Move little, look much!     
   ...and don't shoot unless you know where your arrow will go, so pick a spot(hair) and concentrate on that spot. If you have done your homework the arrow will go right there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »
You're going to need to get real close, so make sure the wind is in you favor.  Scent blockers and all that crap is just B.S. as far as I'm concerned.  If the wind is not in your favor you're just wasting your time.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:41:23 pm »
Yeah, I've never really thought much of the scent blocker stuff. Even if I was convinced that they worked as well as they claim, I can't see me getting into it. I like to keep it simple. I've been working on the aim small miss small thing, and my groups are getting much better. I can't wait to get that bow into the woods. Even if all I get with it this year is a partridge it will still be a big success.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:05:29 am »
Forget partridge until you are a really good shot...they are small.  Concentrate on bigger targets...trophy elk.   ;D

It's all a learning experience when you are out stalking cottontails or whitetails.  Learning to move your feet silently for bunnies is the same as for big game.  One other thing you have in your favor is that primitive archery equipment is often quieter shooting than modern equipment.  Better chance for a second shot if you muff the first!

Good luck, post pics, share backstraps!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 04:13:36 am »
I like to carry arrows for whatever is legal. Seldom does a squirrel or rabbit get a free pass and it is a lot more fun, at least for me, to hunt meat instead of horns. And a bunch more shots.

Lane

Offline barefootbowhunter

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:03:13 pm »
honestly small game hunting is probably the best way to learn about stick and string hunting. shooting at a target does not get your heart thumpin, hands shakin, and the overall mind set that you will have while drawing on live game. so go find some legal live targets that will challenge you as a hunter. also learn the art of stalking your prey, stalkin small critters can shorten this learning curve tremendously. good luck and happy hunting

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 06:10:56 pm »
Right now you're probably still in "target" mode. "Hunting mode" is different. First, put on all of your hunting gear that you'll expect to use. Shoot in different positions. Practice drawing your bow as if in a hunting situation. Slow, steady to anchor. See if things don't change a bit. Good luck this season.......Art

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 12:52:34 am »
  Learn to hunt the wind totally walking in while your there and when you leave. Set up close 15 and under.
  Keep it to the KISS method.  KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPIT. Self bows will make you a better hunted PERIOD.
 I've never thought I've given up one thing when I switched over. My compound friends thought I'd lost it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 09:55:23 am »
Hunting techniques seem to vary depending on what portion of the country you're from. A lot of hunters stalk their prey, perhaps out of necessity for various reasons, or maybe just more personal satisfaction perhaps. Where I'm from, the overwheming majority of bowhunters hunt from stands. I take pride in scouting an area and then setting up lock-on stands in trees such that it offers the close shot required for a selfbow. Bottle-necks such as a crossing over a steep ditch, a narrowing of cover along a travel corridor, or food sources such as acorns or persimmons are spots we look for when placing a stand.

Getting around 16' off the ground helps get you out of the deers line of sight, and helps with scent, as well as much less movement on your part. We are very successful using this technique.

I respect those hunters who stalk and are able to take game such as the white tail deer...it is quite an accomplishment to be able to move in on one or several sets of eyes, and nose, and ears without detection and get within the range necessary for a selfbow shot. I'm only presenting another option for your consideration.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:15:27 am »
  I totally agree GREG
 Unless to have unpressured deer forget the stalking. I've been hunting pressured deer for 40 years. Unless you have a rifle in your hands your wasting you time. Theres only one time I stalk it's in the standing corn with the wind howling with a ghillie. I've arrowed 4 bucks like this 2 in there bed even then thats out probely 100 or so trys through the years.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 10:39:44 am »
Ya My hat is off to ya if you can stalk a eastern white tail with a self bow,I know there are some that say they can do it and I am sure some might but I wouldn't plan on feeding my family that way.  :) :) All good advice ,patients and most of all keep it fun.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline barefootbowhunter

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 01:18:16 pm »
my bad didnt think about how different eastern deer and eastern terrain are from where im at. out here on the coast stalking is much more common then out east, at least for blacktails and mulies which are my main quarry.
with that said i dont doubt that tree stands are the way to go for the eastern white tail