Author Topic: Video added :) Bow #2 Kentucky Coffee Tree done  (Read 14687 times)

Offline coaster500

Video added :) Bow #2 Kentucky Coffee Tree done
« on: September 23, 2011, 12:19:59 am »
First off I'd like to thank you folks for the encouragement on my first project.... it turned out light but held together and is a whole lot of fun to shoot... Thank you

My second attempt will be a Kentucky Coffee tree stave. It is much longer than the Mulberry I just finished but there is very little information on the wood. It was cut about 7 months ago and feels fairly heavy though I don't have a large frame of reference in this dept being a novice.

The early rings are rather thin but there is a fat one about four rings in that runs the length of the stave. Should I be happy with one of the thin rings or go for the fat one? I think there is plenty of wood if I go for it?

The ring on end

The other end

Ring in the center of the stave

The stave has a tiny bit of twist and a bit of rollercoaster on the back but it is fairly straight.

I am looking for design ideas....  How would you use this stave? I have no idea about dimensions and design for this wood....

Thank you in advance for the feedback....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:39:36 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Stave #2 use suggestions???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:29:47 am »
Nice looking stave.  I don't know much about Kentuck Coffee Wood however, I've heard mention of it several times as of late on this site.  Some of the guys will chime in on this. 

Curious though, what's wrong with the top ring?  Aside from the sealer on top, does it violate any other rings?  If not, I'd draw my bow out on the stave as is.  The 4th ring is a bit thicker, yes.  But, you are not limited to the thickest ring.  Just a good ring.  Why chance it, I say.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 12:38:05 am »
Matt the ring is violated in two spots. I may be able to still use it this way as the violations are near the tip. I don't know anything about this wood and thought that the fat ring and the fat ones after it might be structurally better, but again I know nothing?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 12:40:37 am »
if they are violated then chase a thicker non violated ring, it cant hurt to be safe
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 02:30:37 am »
That is a nice looking piece of wood! On a side note how do you like your razor edge making system? I've only tryd my new one a couple times so far so good ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:58:45 am »
Good looking stave,Like Matt ,Don't know much about the wood but have heard it make a very good bow. :) Can't wait to see your progress.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 12:22:53 pm »
I was hoping someone would help me with the design. There has to be somebody out there that has build a bow with this wood?

soy, I love it. I am sharpening impaired and it works great. This system puts a polish on a blade edge like nothing else...

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 02:14:30 pm »
coaster PM Timo he is the only one i have seen build out of coffee tree

the one below is the only one i remember hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:17:49 pm by ken75 »

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 03:58:01 pm »
Thanks Ken....  what a great looking bow. Looks like Timo backed it for the Camo effect and looks not for protection. Makes me want to put the stave away and come back to it when my skill level improves so I can do it justice. I don't think I will ever reach that level, amazing bow!!

Wow very nice!!!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 02:46:08 am »
Should I try to straighten this or tiller around all the woopydoooo's

This stave seems to be a bit more seasoned than the Mulberry.

This end is alot straighter...

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Update question..Stave #2 use suggestions???
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 07:58:22 am »
I personally would leave that little kink in and call it character.  I hate deflex and twist and always take them out.  The tips on that bow look to be even with the handle. 

That was a beautiful stave.  Your bow is looking good.  I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 08:36:50 am »
Nice looking stave.
A straight stave is easier to tiller, but that's only a little undulation, just bear it in mind when you are tillering else you'll think that deflex bend is a hint of hinge.
It just depends how impatient you are, as the straightening will take some time. If you take the deflex out and leave the reflex, you'll then feel like putting some matching reflex into the straight limb, and so on and so forth....
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:47 am »
I was going to say what Del said but he beat me to it :) Good looking stave so far...
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 11:02:43 am »
I know you haven't started tillering yet,but just a heads up,you'll need to smooth out the transition area from handle to fade into the limb. You don't want that step in there and you don't want such a steep straight angle into the limb. It should curve less and less of an angle and blend down into the limb.