Author Topic: how well do you...  (Read 2903 times)

Offline wvarcher

how well do you...
« on: September 24, 2011, 12:42:59 am »
...shoot bows under 50# at your draw length?  I'm not able to shoot fiberglass longbows and now selfbows under 50# very well.  Does a lighter weight bow make the release more critical? 

Offline gstoneberg

Re: how well do you...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:41:22 am »
Depends.  I shoot lighter bows better, but normally hunt at 60lbs because I like getting more pass-throughs.  I've heard people say that they need more weight against their fingers to get a clean release.  I don't think much about it to be honest.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 02:23:46 am »
I'm like George. I can shoot heavy(60#) or light bows(30#-35#) equally as bad.  ;D  It really doesn't matter to me. I think you do get a cleaner release with heavier bows though.  The way you hold your bow could be the problem. Not all bows are held the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:05:07 am »
George, i shoot a 60-70 # bow about as well as a 50# bow.  But, I get tired really quick with anything 60# or more.  Pat, I make all my selfbows with the same type of bulbous handle.  I used to make all my handles square b4 i read Deans Torges book.  Interesting to here you are shooting them lighter weight bows well.   It could depend on the style someone uses to shoot with.  Hopefully, more guys and gals will chime in.

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 01:38:42 pm »
I have been systematically working on my shooting for the last nine months, sometimes the release, the grip or whatever. I use 5 different deer weight bows in no particular order.They go from 45# to 55#and 3 have shelves. 

But if I know it will be a long session I will use a 30 to 40 pound bow that you can shoot all day. Usually not concerned with groups but with a particular facet of my form(or lack of it) and most often shoot at 7-10 yards to cut down on walking time. My light bows are shorter but have received the same attention as the hunting bows and when used with properly spined arrows they shoot good.

The biggest difference is the trajectory at longer ranges.It will screw up your instinct if you suddenly pick up a bow that is 20 pounds lighter and shoot from 20 yds. But if you stay within the bow's "flat zone" the shooting aint much different.

Lane

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 02:36:04 pm »
Disclaimer first.   NOT AN EXPERT.   I have be working on a number of things that have made a huge difference.  The hold on the handle makes a big difference.  I have been making sure that the pressure contact point of my hand and bow is as close to the arrow as comfortable.  I make sure that the left shoulder is pulled in line with the arm and my back so I can relax as much as possible.  I have been working and focusing lately to make sure that the right elbow is back and the back tention is consistant.  A big part of shooting has been mental focus and not shooting just to get a group but to make every arrow count (not sure that makes sense).  My anchor is important and my hold, lately I think about how much and which finger has the most pressure or not.  If I think about all of it then things work real well but it require a lot of concentration.   I wish I had shot enough for it to be second nature.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 05:57:00 pm »
Thanks for your input johnston and iowabow. I'm starting to believe the the problem may be with me.  Still not sure.  When i was shooting a lot and  in practice i could shoot most any 50-60# recurves, longbow and selfbow well.  I'm talking about hitting the spot where i was looking at 15 yards 3 out 5 times.   every bow under 50# was always a different story.  I was careful to pick the correct spine and pay extra attention to my form.  Just so you know, i learned to shoot by watching Dan Quillans shooting video.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 12:41:30 am »
 YES
 But theres away of releaseing that the weight don't matter. Just release with the bottom finger fist. the other 2 just have to follow. Yoy can't stop it. This elimanates the snaping of your fingers open getting string roll.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 01:57:09 am »
Crooketarrow, that sounds like something i would like to try! 

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 01:37:01 pm »
  You'll see the differenece  right away in tighter groups. I use'd this for 25 years when I switched back to recurves. I use a deep hook comes from shooting heavy bows when I was younger. But I only leave my third finger have way to the joint. And draw with the third finger alot more than the othere two. If I feel the burn in that thind finger TIP you know your reaseing right.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 10:39:03 am »
I've been shooting a bow since I was a teenager, and I'm 51 now. I've been shooting Traditional/Primitive for about 27 years. Having said that, I'd say the past 12  to 15 years I've had bad shooting technique that led to flinching/target panic. 6'2" tall, and my draw was only around 26". I won't go into all the things I was doing wrong, but instead I'll mention some that I'm trying here in the last month or so that I think are right.

Iowabow was hitting on some of these techniques in his comments. RangerB lives near me, and comes down to the Twin Oaks club. Jimmy (RangerB) has been doing a lot of training with some of the top shooters in the nation for competitive shooting. His wife has recently started shooting a recurve, and I bought my girlfriend one to get her started. Jimmy met with us and BigA and his wife, Pappy's son Beau and his wife...basically a archery demo by Jimmy to get these ladies started off right. It was probably the best demonstration of technique I'd ever witnessed! While it is true that different style bows may require tweaking of techniques to apply to that bow, I felt like much of what Jimmy was showing us was good stuff that would work with any recurve or selfbow.

For the bow hand, he tried to get the "lifeline" of the hand solid into the handle, but don't grip the bow hard showing the whites of your knuckels...creating potential sideways torque. But make it comfortable to you! Need a balanced stance, with both your feet point 90 degrees from the target where you can have the straight back with shoulders up and inline. You need a good solid consistant anchor, but don't bend your head down to the string, bring the string to you and solid with more then one point of contact with your face if possible. Your fingers shouldn't be the "trigger" for the release, but instead have a very subtle push with the bow hand and slight rotate back of your elbow of your string arm. With that slight backward rotation of the string arm which should bring your shoulders more together in the center of your back, at that slight backward movement, relax your fingers at the same instance letting the weight of the drawn bow pull the string from your fingers. Don't mentally say "I'm on", and fling your fingers open! The release should surprise you much like squeezing the trigger of a rifle and not knowing when it's going to fire.

That is a much different style then what I was doing, but I've found that with the subtle push/pull I don't have near the right/left variation I did before. My releases are much crispper, and I'm not flinching near as much. I'm still working on this, and have a long way to go yet I feel. But I have shot enough to know the sense this makes over what I was doing! I still cant my bow some, but not was steep as before. I really like the being inline across the back and the push/pull focusing on a release that happens on its own, versus when my brain says..."let go!". My draw has increased with this style, and my girlfriend is making good progress with her shooting. I feel like she is learning good technique from the beginning, instead of developing bad technique and try to unlearn that later like what I'm doing. Thanks to RangerB!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 11:38:22 am »
Hearing what you say about the release is good to know. I have not heard that but would like more explanation maybe a little more detail. I have felt the bow move forward as if I was pushing the arrow to the target with good effect but never followed that path to develop it as a release technique.  I can also could see good value in exploring it. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 03:34:19 pm »
The pushing the bow forward is so subtle, I think it is as much to only keep the bow arm from collapsing, but also very very slight pushing toward the target as you said. If you push to hard you can have the negative effect of tending to pull left on target if you're a right handed shooter. Jimmy mentioned this, and I've done it since, realizing I was pushing to hard with my bow hand. The main aspect of the release as is slightly rotating your elbow back which is also squeezing your shoulders together. As you start the very slight elbow movement, relax your fingers. All of this is easier said then done if you're used to a different shooting style, but I'm trying to "think" about all this now when I practice. I used to have my elbow down some, and quartered my body more when at full draw, resulting in a short draw length and being in an awkward position that allowed me to collapse really easy and pull right.

The way Jimmy puts it, "have a good strong shot", meaning the push/pull versus a weak shot where you're creaping forward on your anchor point prior to release, and maybe not holding your bow arm solid either.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...