Author Topic: Is the grizzly go555 model enough saw??  (Read 2541 times)

blackhawk

Is the grizzly go555 model enough saw??
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:23:23 pm »
One last piece remaining to be had in my tool arsenal is a good bandsaw. There's a 14" grizzly g0555 bandsaw(1hp motor) for sale in my area for 275$  I need a saw that will rip at least a 4" deep Osage stave without hesitation. Will this be enough saw? And is that a decent price for a used one? I see they sell for a little over twice that new.

Thanks guys....chris

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Is the grizzly go555 model enough saw??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 02:37:26 pm »
Just bought a new one Chris. I bought a 3 tpi and 10 tpi Timberwolf for it. The 3 tpi doesnt even slow down in dry or green staves of any wood type. I have cut osage, elm, ash and hackberry with zero problems. Once its set up correctly its quiet and powerful. You will wonder why you waited so long to get a bandsaw. My shoulders and elbows thank me everytime I fire that bugger up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:41:41 pm »
I've had a Grizzly 14", 1hp for years and have never been disappointed!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 02:44:10 pm »
Thanks chris. That's what I thought you bought but couldn't remember what model. Yeah my wrists n elbows are hurting today. I took an Osage stave this weekend all the way to floor tiller and heat corrections all with hand tools,and im feeling it. It sure don't help my carpel tunnel in my wrists.

Thanks pat. If u n Pearlie give her the nod then that's all I need to know. Ill look into it and see if I can swing a deal.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 02:49:44 pm »
Just roughing a stave out took me a weekend. I can do it in 15 minutes now. Look out staves! Chris is getting a new saw! It makes roughing green staves out ahead of time easier to swallow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 12:08:47 am »
Let the yellow shavings fly, Blackhawk!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 02:23:22 am »
I had the same question :D I went with the go513x2 because I did not want to under power plus it came with a resaw fence! LOVE it so far I have went through 9" red elm and 10" hickory. With a 3 tpi timber wolf,plus rough out a blank!!! How did I get along without it? ?? But it sounds like the price is right and judging from the performance of mine I would say for the 4" stock you have the go 555! Would work very nicely  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...