Author Topic: sudbury bow project  (Read 3796 times)

Offline paleryder

sudbury bow project
« on: September 24, 2011, 02:32:17 pm »
Gents,

As soon as my garage is finished, I was planning on making a new bow. I purchased a "sudbury" floor-tillered stave from Rudder Bows. I first noticed that the limbs were not symmetrical in length and that the handles is offset in the middle making it somewhat center-shot. I read on this forum that Rudder Bows has indicated that it wasn't authentic as to the symmetry of the limbs. Huh, wished it would have said that on the site. Sorry to complain. Is the off-set handle authentic? I've read about the bow but do not ever recall reading about this feature.

Lastly, I'm not sure exactly how this type of bow should be tillered. I am assuming it doesn't bend in the handle. Any advice? I've done mostly D-styled bows that either dont' bend in the handle at all or slightly bend. Thanks.

Todd

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: sudbury bow project
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:46:04 pm »
Welcome to PA !!
Someone that knows will chime in soon !
Just wanted to welcome you to the best site on the internet !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 06:54:43 pm »
Hello Todd, welcome to PA.
Frank from Germany...

Offline smoke

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:50:08 am »
Todd, the bow does not accurately reflect the Sudbury artifact.  That said, I suspect more than one native american had a bow similar to yours.  I bought the same bow from Rudder and tillered it without bend in the handle - and it performs well.  In effect, I tillered it as the original artifact was tillered.   Hope this helps.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:18:35 pm »
  In effect, I tillered it as the original artifact was tillered.   Hope this helps.

Since the original has not been strung or shot in quite some time, how do you determine how it was tillered or the profile of the bow at full draw (the final measure of tillering)?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:31:29 pm »
Todd , what you could do is call Jim (or email) at RudderBows and find out how they tiller their completed Sudbury bows. Might not be authentic but it would work.

Welcome to PA.

lANE

Offline paleryder

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:47:06 pm »
Thanks guys. All good suggestions. The more I look at it, it must be stiff handled. In fact, I think it should be tillered like a modern asymmetrical longbow. I'll check in with Rudder Bows too.

Todd

Offline smoke

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 05:06:22 pm »
In one of the TBBs they explain the tiller of the original.  sorry - I can't recall which volume.