Author Topic: Pressure flaking 101  (Read 7620 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Pressure flaking 101
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 02:08:23 pm »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 03:14:28 pm »
I am going to make one more video on holding the point in the left hand. This will be posted tomorrow morning. I noticed that my video quality is low and that  is because I am using my phone to make the videos.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 08:26:48 pm »
Just checked em all out John.  Sweet, I'm @ work right now, and can't wait to get home to some more flakin'.  thanks for your time, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »
I am glad you enjoyed them.  The video on holding the point is kinda important so if you have trouble that might be why plus it takes lots of practice.  If did not see Shannon doing it so easy I would never went down this path because I was doing OK with the rubber pad. I kinda make it look easy but there is a lot going on with balancing pressures with both hands.  Anyway you will get it if you don't give up.  Like Shannon said you have to want it.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 12:29:42 pm »
OK here is a little discussion on the use of the leather pad. I kept forgeting everything I wanted to say so I posted two videos that have most of the same info but contain a little different info in both. I did not have time to make a third that combined info about both. Also I did not cover the important of powering up the right hand to drive longer flakes. I am having to learn right now when to use a lot of power and when not to. Also the pad is not thick because it does not take a lot of power to remove flake when the stone is the size that I am using in the demo. I use a small copper bopper to reduce and rarely use the ishi stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhGXqwChLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sERPN3lyiAU

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 12:45:46 pm »
ok that is it for the video unless you new folks need more info. I have only been knapping for less than a year so I hope this is understandable. Everything in these videos I learned from the fourm here in PA and from Shannon and Jeff in TN. Cowboy, Tower, Jessie, Timo, Leapingbare, and many others contributed to what I know and what you just saw and without them I would not be having so much fun!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 04:00:42 pm »
Thanks John, I think I'll get a leather pad together and take some spalls out to the deer lease tomorrow night to play with when I'm not hunting.  I'm anxious to get practicing as I really need to use this particular technique.

Thanks again,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 03:57:17 am »
This is very informative, thank you very kindly.how ever I try it on glass and can't get a bite, it just slips any pointers???
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:07 am »
Well, when I try it on flint I either get little flakes or steps.  It's very frustrating.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 10:40:45 am »
Yes it is G.  It took me about 60 days to develop the muscle memory in my hands.  You must have convexity, a good platform, the correct angle and the right amount of power.  I think I worked for 2 hours before I got even one long flake.  It was like being thrown from a horse. When Shannon showed me this he said "this techniques got you all confussed now".  Just remember this took 4 hours off the time it took me to make 1 hunting point and my points are shaper and thinner. I know it is frustrating but try sitting across from someone and watch them doing it with ease when you can't, that is humbling and frustrating.   If you stick with it you will get.  I gained a whole new appreciation for the knapper in here after I figured this out.  There are things that are challenging still and I still can't do like, making good flake patterns and using the right pressure so I don't over shoot the flake but with every point I learn someting new. I will try to make a new video to explain what characteristics need to be in place to make the long flakes travel.  One thing that is hard to explain is abrading if you do it to lightly the flake will be short (the flake will detach to early before you can build pressure) if you do it to heavy the flake will dig  deep (because you are building to much pressure and likely the angle is changing just before the flake detaches) and create issues.  I don't think I can teach that technique (abrading) you will just have to learn that one by trying. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:39:55 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 12:36:31 pm »
eI did not explain well that it take a couple of passes to start getting flakes to travel to center. Also I called the fingernail terminations steps, they are not an issue unless you terminate a flake in the same place on the second pass that is called a stack. let me break down the process  for you:
1. shear sharp edge
2. abrade
3. small starter flake to set up the first ridge
4. Short flakes for first pass
5. clean up deltas, shear  and re-abrade
6. make next pass so that flakes travel to center or just past center.
7. start on other side the same way.
8. Have a beverage of your choice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlelwTurcS8

here is a picture indicating the termination of the flakes

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:04:13 pm by iowabow »

Offline Tower

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 12:21:19 am »
One of these days we need to meet & break some rock! I would like to see your method 1st hand. I use a slightly different method. As long as we get the results we want were doing good. Knap-on my friend!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 10:00:36 am »
Tower do you live in TX? Sometime this winter I was thingking of heading to NM I could swing east into TX on my way back if it is not to far south. I would really like to learn how you thin your preforms so much.  Your notching is unreal also.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 10:12:46 am »
Hey Tower could you explain your approach to pressure flaking.  I am sure we all could learn a lot from your approach and technique.  I know it is hard to explain the finer points on a technique.  Also if anyone else would like to share their technique I think it would really help some of these new guys like G and bowtarist soy and a few others.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:09:18 am by iowabow »

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »
I'm pretty sure he's down by Houston. I want to go down  for a lesson too. It'll have to wait till Jan when deer seasons over for me.  If you come by Dallas after Jan15 bring your bow &$20 we'll chase the hogs.

George
St Paul, TX