Author Topic: Bow oven questions.  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Bow oven questions.
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:21:32 am »
Hey,

So i've been hesitant to build an actual bow oven.  I generly use the back of my subaru on a hot day.  Hot days gone and I'm getting close to arriving at my original goal.  I'm going to go ahead and build one.  What sorts of heat is best and how are you guys getting it?  Ive seen bow ovens with 3 100 watt bulbs.  I've seen some run on two halogen bulbs.  I've seen some simply made of  chipboard.  I've seen them made  from styrofoam.  I've heard of guys just setting halogen lamps real close and moving it down the bow in increments.

What temperature range do I need?  What materials do you guys find to be the best?  are there efficiency concerns?

Thanks,
Scott

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Bow oven questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:05:59 pm »
  I use the Styrofoam with the silver foll glue up a box ( mines 6x12x 70"s long) and 2 light bulbs. I just use 2,40 watt. 2 dowel rods to holds a bow. I just have mine on a shelf ratchet strapped to the side of my shop bricks hold the top on.
  I not sure about the drying time on a stave. I only use mine on bows to get rid of the relative humidity them I start tillering. This really helps with keeping string follow down.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:53:09 pm »
I use 3 /60 watt bulbs with a rheostat switch to control the brightness which controls the heat.I have a indoor outdoor thermometer so I can see the temp and adjust up or down as is needed. I usuall keep mine around 90 just for drying stave's. :) :) It is in a box I built 1foot wide 1 and 1/2 foot deep and 80 inches long
with a hinged lid.  :) You better buy your bulbs pretty quick,they are fixing to out law them.  >:( >:( ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:05:55 pm »
who is outlawing bulbs!?!  WWWWwwwwwhhhhaaaat? ? ? ?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 04:17:16 pm »
Our government is outlawing the incandescent bulbs to save energy.   They are to be replaced with the much more environmentally friendly  >:D  mercury laced fluorescent bulbs that also has the benefit of giving headaches while trying to read under them.  They put out less heat (which is why they will be no good in your bow oven, and only use 1/5 of the energy....
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:39:26 pm »
Excellent Thread,

Need to build a hot box myself.
Is there any potential in using LED light bulbs?

Thank You.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:43:36 am »
Excellent Thread,

Need to build a hot box myself.
Is there any potential in using LED light bulbs?

Thank You.

-gus

LED's generate the smallest amount of heat.  It seems we are looking for the least efficient bulbs here.  Or other sources.  I used to make LED and neon signs as well as was once a helper for interior lighting on our "top1% " types of homes.  One house had these little lights like halogens, in a strip.  Just the bulbs, tucked behind the framework of the ceiling.  They were HOT like hell and I think ran on a low voltage transformer but I can't remember what they were or the details.  I also remember MR16's as getting pretty hot.  The ones we dealt with were also run from a central LV transformer.  But singing your fingers and getting paid to change bulbs for a Wall Street broker and heating us a hot box for my project are not the same.

Hobow~ Mmmmm, I don't think it will go through if it is a concerted effort.  But Bring it on if it does.  I'm looking for a heat source to achieve my goal.  I'm not married to a specific bulb.  I did my environmental economics paper on a similar topic.  Fascinating stuff in there if you can get past the media versions of the stuff.  Be careful who/what you listen to.  My guess is that, possibly with subsidies, those new bulbs carry higher margins, and save consumers money (mine have been a gamble on life span though) so it will become a natural choice for most applications.  Just a fun fact.  Cap and Trade type of policies have historical precedence of working IN THIS COUNTRY.  Look up the history of leaded gasoline.  The societal costs of using leaded gas were pretty big.  The only thing I admire about Bush were executive orders requiring cost benefit analysis before implementing environmental policy.  Fascinating field I could yammer on for hours.  I'll spare you.  I tried to get those two orders numbers but the book is buried under 90lbs of econometrics and intermediate macroeconomics texts. 

Just saw Scott D's post.  There you have it.  The "top down~product X is banned" is rare, inneficient for govt. to regulate and enforce, and wildly unpopular for a few good reasons.  This is a market based incentive structure aimed at the end result.  They don't tell you how to get there but what needs to be achieved.  This creates opportunity, allows competition, and encourages innovation.

Back to topic~I'm using my hot box to dry glue resin, Urac and "Bow Grip 100".  I read an article that says you can get 160* with 3 100 watt bulbs.  But I've been told by others that you need at least 2 500 watt halogens.  My material is a super insulator that is stable to a tad past 200*.  I'm aiming for 160*-180*.  The box is made.  I need to heat it now.  I can get 4- regular ceramic fixtures for $1.50 ea plus up to 125 watt regular bulbs.  Halogen bulbs or even heat lamps.  Or I can get two low profile halogen fixtures that I'll need to hardwire for $9.00 each with bulb.  I'm leaning towards the latter but already purchased for former.

I'm newer to the bow building in terms of getting action from wood fibers but I've been working "rough" and "green" wood for some time as a sculptor and poor wood worker.  Infact 90% of my wood is reclaimed or self cut in some capacity.  I dry most of my own wood as well EXCEPT for limb woods.  I'd say that using a light based hot box to dry wood is kinda inefficient.  Small pieces that you gotta have "now" can be microwaved.  Otherwise I'd say set it on your heater or in your boiler room.  Simple solar lumber ovens can be made also.  That would be ideal for a small load of starves if you had the space in your yard.  It would only take a month or so I think to dry them out.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 04:36:41 pm »
so far it seems to be working.  I have 2 100 watt bulbs in and one 200 watt bulb going.  It's heating up but a bit slowly.  It looks like the Urac needn't be cured at temps as high as I originaly wanted anyway.  Had some bad glue lines that I can't get to delaminate with a heat gun.  That bow was cured in the trunk of the car parked in the sun on a 78* day.