Author Topic: Thread in inserts on bamboo?  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Thread in inserts on bamboo?
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:49:50 am »
Hey guys.  I found a local deal on judo points but they thread in.  Is there any reason I can't put those into a bamboo shaft?  If I seat the inserts then wrap the foreshaft?  I have  lathe so I think I can get a pretty straight seat on the inserts.  I don't know how much I'll thin the walls.  I also considered just gluing the threaded stub inside the bamboo and wrapping that?

Thanks,
PB

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: Thread in inserts on bamboo?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:04:18 am »
 I put a dowl in the end so it's a 1/2" below thw bottom of the insert. Mix epoxy, poor in, and seat the seat. I never wrap the end, but in the case of judos, with all the sideward tourque from shooting into the ground, I think I would just to be safe.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline wildwills

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »
You probably could...I remember reading on Yumi-Bows (Jaap Koppedrayer's site) that for bamboo hunting arrows, aluminum inserts could be put in.
Mike Wills
Bugs Bunny: Why, Crusher! It's good to see you.
The Crusher: Yeah, well, I was just passing by... Dyuh... just passing by...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:45:54 pm »
You can thread the judo right into the end of the cane. You may have to enlarge the hole so it will fit. Be sure to wrap behind the head so the boo doesn't split.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:59:12 am »
You can thread the judo right into the end of the cane. You may have to enlarge the hole so it will fit. Be sure to wrap behind the head so the boo doesn't split.

Sweet! thanks!