Author Topic: First Knife - old file, spalted maple handle (added sheath pics)  (Read 6973 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Here's a few pictures of the first knife I've attempted to make.  Made it from an old flat bastard file using the stock removal method.  The handle was shaped out of some spalted maple I had kicking around, and secured to the knife with 2 chicago screws - not the prettiest, but they worked.  I left some of the scaling from the heat treating process on the bevelled edge because I liked the way it looked.  The handle can be removed at any time, so I may try fooling around with putting some kind of patina on the steel.

A sheath is the next project!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 09:49:11 pm by Cameroo »

Offline Rick Wallace

Re: First Knife - old file, spalted maple handle
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:20:40 pm »
Very nice!!  Ive been experimenting with patinas,,white vinegar  does a pretty good job,sort of a dull grey/silver color. good job!! 8)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »
Very nice 1st knife....I like it.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 11:53:55 pm »
great job on your frist knife i like it
bryan irwin

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:24:18 pm »
Sweet knife,I love the looks of the handle. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 02:02:09 pm »
Thanks guys.  Rick, I think that's what I'd be after, so I'll likely give that a try at some point.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:13:37 pm »
Beauty of a knife. looks like a nice all around good knife good to use where a bigger one seems combursome.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 04:00:14 am »
Very nice little knife!
Frank from Germany...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:47:53 am »
Great job! I like the shape, and the scales look really nice!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 06:51:12 pm »
Most people carry knives that should be smelted down and made into two useful sized knives, glad to see you aren't wasting steel!!!

Is there any chance I can get you to mail that knife to me so that I can try it out?  I have this sneaking suspicion it might just fit my hand fairly well.  Oh, just be sure to drive over the border into the U.S. before shipping it out Canadian Postal has a bad habit of losing my mail.  My only interest is testing it's cutting qualities, I have absolutely no question about it's esthetic qualities.  She's a looker, I'll say that!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 07:56:21 pm »
Sweet Blade!  That was sure a lot of stock removal.  LIKE!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:21 pm »
Thanks again gentlemen :)

Greg - I have a bunch more of this maple left.  I bought it years ago with intentions of using it for a top lamination on an electric guitar.  Then it occurred to me that I'll probably never make another guitar, and I might as well use it for something!  The only thing is, it's a little bit soft and punky.  I need to find some of that Minwax wood hardener to soak it in, maybe that will help.  I haven't had any luck finding it though.

JW - I figured that with most knives I use, it's usually only the last 2 inches or so that gets dull, which means that's pretty much the only part I use.  Why have a couple extra inches of metal hanging from your belt?  The ladies don't really care how big your knife is ;)

I think the blade is about the perfect size for general use.  I have another piece from the same file that's a bit longer.  I think for the next one I'll leave the blade the same, but make the handle just slightly longer, for times when more leverage is needed.  This one should make a good skinner though.  I haven't been able to get a razor edge on it yet, but I'm gonna have a go at it with my Lansky sharpening set and hopefully it will shave hairs after that.

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 12:16:50 am »
Nice job Cam! Is there anything you can't do? Have you been bending any wood lately? I was thinking yesterday, we should think about cutting that pear tree in my backyard soon. If you help, there'll be a stave or two in it for you!!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 10:44:16 pm »
Well according to Kelly, I can't put toilet paper on the roller, so I guess that's one thing :)

I haven't been working on bows for a couple months now, but I'm sure I'll have another one going soon.  I'd be happy to come help take that tree down.  We haven't had a visit for quite some time.  Just give me a shout and I'll be right over :)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 12:02:18 am »
Very nice knife!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA