Author Topic: what is a tri-lam bow  (Read 6676 times)

Offline Blacktail

what is a tri-lam bow
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:53:01 pm »
i have seen you guys talking about tri lam bows...so i have some questions...what is a tri lam bow...where can i get wood for it...and what kind of wood should be used...i want to learn some thing new in bow making...thanks john

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: what is a tri-lam bow
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:43:37 pm »
a tri lam is just a bow with three laminations of wood, for example, a hickory back, with osage core and ipe belly, the back and belly do the most work and thus are more important, but that doesn't mean you can skimp on the core ;)
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:19 pm »
o.k. thanks  SO,what are some of the thickness for the lams...and can a person buy lams...i only have a band saw...thanks again..john

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:01:22 am »
im not really, sure, i have never personally made one, but i know you can buy the lams, i am going to do a few hickory backed ipes first
check 3 rivers and rudderbows
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:30:09 pm »
Most of my backing strips and mid-lams are 1/4" thick. I don't taper them, they're parallel thickness. I usually make the belly wood thickness 1", do the glue-up, then taper the limbs from the center to 1/2" width and 1/2" thickness. Depending on final desired length, these dimensions will give me up to 100#s weight.
I posted a pic of the tip of a tri-lam I made a while back, so you can see the lam thicknesses.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 07:08:25 pm »
thanks adb,i was wondering if a person could use parallel thickness...i guess i will have to find some woood...john

Offline Ian.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 09:01:24 pm »
You tend to have to taper laminations; if you have a 4mm back and 8mm core and you worked the tip to say 13mm you would be down to 1mm on the belly you need to make sure that the laminations run the entire length of the bow and are even like adb's bow. So you do need to taper them to some degree.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 10:18:14 pm »
I make my backing lams and mid lams the same thickness. I found it didn't work (for the reasons you mentioned) to make the mid lam thicker.