Author Topic: Osage Holmegård (fulldraw p.2)  (Read 21948 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Re: Osage Holmegård
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 07:53:17 pm »
Of course not :)  But I think I have distributed the stress as evenly as I possibly can, with just a hint of bend in the outer narrower limbs.

Tillering is sooo easy with board-bows, but these stave-bows tend to give me some food for thought. But I think I have setteled down with the tiller it has got now.

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 10:53:13 pm »
Kvillo, one thing I do and more is explained in the book, but if outer limbs are tiffer than normal as i might do in a holmgarde I would assign a slightly larger number for draw length, maybe 2" over actual, and if mid limb is bending more than usual I would assign a slighlty larger number to stiff handle area, maybe 2" more than actual. This will allow you some extra mass that you need on this design. Steve

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 11:24:34 pm »
Looks  very good so far. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 08:10:16 am »
Ahh, I see. Maybe it's not that heavy after all. Good to hear!

You will have a chapter on the formula in TBB4?

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 03:46:48 pm »
Suddenly and more quickly than I had expected. Here they are:

Here's the section where is goes from wide to narrow:

And a fulldraw.

Oh, and there's also my yew bow that I will make in 40 years time or so ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 04:04:23 pm by kviljo »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 04:10:50 pm »
You got a good bend all the way through the limbs although looks like the top limb is a bit stiff. That could be the camera angle.  That is an exceptionally clean piece of osage. We don't find much like that here in the US.   I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that yew tree to grow. Maybe your great grand kids will enjoy it. ;D   Beautiful bow!
   There ought to be some good shoots in that pink rose besides you for arrows!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 04:45:46 pm »
Looks like a fine bow :)

DCM

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 05:00:46 pm »
Nice bow.  Clean hedge.  Technically not quite a homey.

There was an article in the archives at the old site by a lady who made a nice whitewood holmegaard.  Been some time ago.  Was well written and a nice bow as well.  Interesting design, I want to say the one example from antiquity was actually a backwards bow, ie. outer growth ring on the belly.  Wide, parallel inner working limb, stiff, narrow outer limb with abrupt transition about midlimb or slightly beyond.  The transition has always been the vexing aspect of the design for me.  Most examples I've seen I considered too generous in the thickness on the outer limb and too stiff in the transition.  Most short, fast flatbows have an aspect of the homey design so in a way it is widely practiced.

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 08:23:58 pm »
Humm, I would have to disagree. :) What is the reason to think that they were "backward"-bows?
Also, take a look at e.g. Gad Rausings "The bow" (1967), or Jurgen Junkmanns "Pfeil und bogen"(2001). Both have drawings, and the latter a picture of one of the Holmegårds. They vary from almost none to quite abrupt narrowing at approx. midlimb. Yep, there's about 24 more or less complete Holmegårds from Denmark, plus at least one from Sweden, according to Junkmanns.
I'd love to read that article by the way! Does it exist on the net somewhere still?

I took several fulldraw-pics, and the tiller looked slightly differen on all of them, but I think I would agree that it bends a little more on the lower limb. It might be me not holding the bow exactly 90 degrees to the camera, or I might be drawing a bit high on the string. Perhaps both, but it might as well just be that it is bending a little much on the lower limb. Anyway, I'll just have to try to forget it, or prepare for giving it 10 coatings of danish oil again ::)

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 08:34:06 pm »
Oh, forgot about the shoots! I've never thought of that before. It grows like mad, and theres lots of straight ones "inside" it - got to try that!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 08:47:26 pm »
Very nice bow. Congratulations. Enjoy. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 11:47:07 pm »
nice bow tiller looks pretty darn good to me. Looks like the stave has some prop twist, could be making the top limb look stronger. :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline jpitts

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 12:53:02 am »
Good Looking bow. Prettiest piece of Osage I ever saw
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

DCM

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 10:15:54 am »
Kviljo,

"Humm, I would have to disagree. :) What is the reason to think that they were "backward"-bows?"

I could easily be wrong.  And please don't consider my comments critcism.  I'll have to look around and see where I got the idea of the backward bow. 

"Also, take a look at e.g. Gad Rausings "The bow" (1967), or Jurgen Junkmanns "Pfeil und bogen"(2001). Both have drawings, and the latter a picture of one of the Holmegårds. They vary from almost none to quite abrupt narrowing at approx. midlimb. Yep, there's about 24 more or less complete Holmegårds from Denmark, plus at least one from Sweden, according to Junkmanns."

Again I'd defer to your knowledge.  I think my mistake was assume the archtypical design with an abrupt transition was the only example.

"I'd love to read that article by the way! Does it exist on the net somewhere still?"

I don't see a section on this site with a link to the archive of old published articles.  They may have discontinued that practice.  But I know I had the magazine it was in.  If I can find it I'll send it to you.  I'll look around this weekend.  I think I've kept all my old PAs.

Again, it's a great bow, and evidently very much a Holmegard.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 10:48:44 am »
That is perhaps one of the best looking bows I've seen posted, nice tiller and the clean simple lines truly appeal to me.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI