Author Topic: deflexed yew stave  (Read 5765 times)

babbott

deflexed yew stave
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:37:02 pm »
I just received a yew bowstave, and it looks quite clear of knots for its entire length.  The only problem I can see with it, is that the last foot or so, is bent quite a bit out (toward the sapwood side).  I think that the stave needs another year to cure, and I was wondering if you guys have any advice on how, or whether, to fix it.  Do people steam bend yew?  Is it worth trying?  Should I just tiller it with the deflex?  Should I apply gentle pressure to the stave while it is curing?
Thanks in advance,
-Ben

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: deflexed yew stave
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:49:45 pm »
Ben, I know very little about yew but Glenn St Charles says yew works well with heat and I believe he used steam. I wouldn't try to correct the stave but either reduce it to "almost" bow dimensions, make the correction and stash it for it's final curing or just wait out the curing time, reduce it and straighten it then.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

Re: deflexed yew stave
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:10:12 pm »
Yew works very well with steam.  Much better than it does with dry heat.  15-20 minutes of good steaming should be enough to get the bend out if you rough the bow out first.  Good luck.

J. D. Duff