Author Topic: stone points dull?  (Read 7960 times)

Offline armymedic.2

stone points dull?
« on: July 10, 2007, 10:46:20 pm »
all you stone point users, do you have to resharpen you heads after shooting them in practice or to test arrow flight before a hunt?  I always wondered how yall did it, i knap my flint on my smokepole, and lose a lot of the size, and it would seem after all the work to make a good flying point, it would be a shame to reknap for sharpness.  so what do you do? or do they not dull unless they chip?   thanks, would like to try it but need info first.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

jamie

Re: stone points dull?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 05:01:31 am »
i dont sharpen mine untill i know they fly. after i know they will hit the mark i do light chippping on the edge . plus when a stone point hits bone it usually becomes a chisel. this does more damage than the original point. peace

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 06:31:51 pm »
  I do like Jamie some of the time.But mostly I make my points 125grns.The same as my broad heads and field points so I don't test shoot them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:32:14 am »
alright.  interesting, i have always tested my steel broadheads and found some to fly off keel.  with adjutment they do better.  you must make beautiful heads for tyhem to fly true.  i like the sound of it.  yet another thing to be addicted to :}  thanks much.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:15:39 am »
I test shoot every arrow I'm going to hunt with whether they have store bought heads, trade points or stone points and especially with trades and stone. I want to be sure that they will fly well and go where I want them to go. I have a large foam block I shoot into. If my stone heads feel like they need a touch up. I'll take a small pressure flaker and dress them up.
   With stone points it's not necessarily the peak along the edges but the valleys also and they are protected by the peaks and don't seem to dull out as much. Small pressure flakes bring back the keen edge on stone points without removing too much material.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 03:38:23 pm »
  I don't know about beautiful but I do make them almost the same size.It pays to have diamond saws and grinders. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Trapper

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 07:51:14 pm »
Grinders and diamond saws whats that? Neverheard of such,   Trapper

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 07:06:39 pm »
  He who has,makes little piles of chips.He who dosen't is always searching for rock. ;D
Lakeland, Florida