Author Topic: this afternoon  (Read 1701 times)

Offline sonny

this afternoon
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:32:51 am »
Sitting in the same stand as opening morning I hear 'em coming but don't have sense enough to stand up before they get to the stand. Turkeys!! and a bunch of 'em. I stopped counting at 8 and with no exaggeration there were 20 and maybe more than that, all of 'em spread out over sixty yards or so out in the field to my left. Some of 'em are close, others out in the field thirty yards or so. A bunch of eyes! The only set that really mattered was the set that looked up at me when it got to one of my shooting lanes. Puck! and that's all she wrote. They all started pucking and running. Then I stood up and they decided it's time to go, most of 'em taking flight, a few simply running like hell. My buddy Darrell was in the next stand up from me and said that one ran by him so fast that he's not sure he could have hit it with a shotgun.
Surprisingly enough, when I thought they had all left, a minute or so later another one takes off just down the hill from me.
That was around 4:30 this afternoon.

Around 5:30 or so I heard a deer crunching on acorns back behind me. Finally spotted a spike on the other side of the fence, watched him go under the fence. (I figured he'd jump it.) He made his way along the fenceline and into the field to my left, made a loop until he was under the white oak just in front of me. Ok, maybe he'll eventually present a shot. HE didn't though. Fed on acorns for a couple of minutes and must've winded me as he ran out into the field and into a patch of woods 75 yards or so away.

made for an interesting afternoon......I love this time of year!
took a couple of pics of the deer. will have to see if any are good enough to post,, not that y'all haven't
seen plenty of deer pics before  ;)       
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: this afternoon
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:37:08 am »
Beats the story of what I did this afternoon all to tar!  I cleaned the house, or rather, some of the house. 

Sounds like a well spent afternoon.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:48:19 am »
....can't believe that I forgot to mention that my buddy and I had deer bar-b-q for dinner when we got back to his place.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 01:15:01 am »
Nice sonny!  Check out my topic about my hunt this morning!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:20:04 pm »
That beats working by a long shot ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...