Author Topic: It's Called Hunting  (Read 1819 times)

Offline profsaffel

It's Called Hunting
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:17:11 pm »
Opening day of bow season in Texas. I camp out the night before so as not to disturb the household when I get up two hours before the sun. Here's the story...

I get away from work by lunch and put on my game face. I have a camp set up relatively quickly. My gear includes my newest bow "Legacy" and a new set of orford cedar arrows. The tips are Ace and Zwickey Eskimo broad-heads. I've got some basic camping gear including an army wool blanket "bushcraft" set up that proved handy for the camp out.

Unfortunately, the excessively dry conditions constricted me from having a campfire for warmth, light, or heat for cooking, but a nice grill was available that made all the difference. A downed tree nearby also provided me with more than adequate wood.

I started the fire with a magnesium striker set up. The evening meal consisted of cornbread, some brats, a can of beans, and my favorite 'special occasion beverage' of Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Shortly after the sun fell behind the tree line, I retired to the tent with a package of beef jerkey, a .357 mag pistol, and an ESV New Testament for company. The temperature fell quickly and much lower than I anticipated as I huddled in my wool blanket and attempted to sleep the night away.

The little alarm went off but I was already awake. With a headlamp attached to my cap, my clothes sprayed with scent killer, and minimal gear, I trekked quietly as possible through the woods the short distance from camp to deer stand. Hunting out of a wooden permanent tree-house style stand, I had taken up residence and had gear secured high in the large oak a full hour before sun up.

Shortly thereafter, I witnessed several racoons hitting the pile of corn feed a short distance from the stand. Perhaps they sensed me or something else had them spooked, but they did not stay around long. Three rabbits did join the morning munching shortly thereafter as the sun emerged. They nibbled for nearly thirty minutes undisturbed. No other sounds about minus much squirrel activity, including the very tree I was stationed in. I enjoyed the sights and sounds of that natural environment, so full of wilderness life and away from the work and worry that consumes so much of our lives.

I waited in the stand nearly motionless for nearly two hours after sunrise in anticipation of a possible doe or spike that frequents this funnel of trees in amidst farm and ranch land of the county near my home. No signs of deer were present this day as the air warmed uncomfortably and discouraged me from staying out any later. This is, after all, why it's called "hunting" and not "killing".

Thanks for reading,
Doug
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline lowell

Re: It's Called Hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:58:22 pm »
Sounded and looked like a good time......best of luck to you the next time out!!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:55:54 pm »
That is the kind of story i like to hear...-

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:48:15 pm »
Do believe you had a good time.

Lane

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 01:56:07 am »
Sounds like a small victory to me ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:41:33 pm »
Yep, beans and weenies, wool blanket, primitive bow.........that's what I call hunting!! Good luck and happy hunting!

Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth