Author Topic: Just finished some skinning blades.  (Read 18272 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Just finished some skinning blades.
« on: July 11, 2007, 07:07:18 pm »
Haven't had much time in last few weeks to relax, but was able to sneak away and make some knives in what little spare time I had. Purty simple to make - if you knap :). Just make a blade, glue it to something, and sinew wrap it - the sinew is artificial of course and does nothing other than to add to the aesthetic's (at least the way I did it). Had fun makin em - just thought I'd show em around.

The first one is made of a peice of obsidian sent to me from Justin Snyder - thanks Justin! Second one is Novaculite.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

DBernier

Re: Just finished some skinning blades.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 07:39:19 pm »
Wow   :o  That is cool Cowboy. Neat stuff. That short one is a cutie. Good job.

Dick

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:30:10 pm »
Cowboy that is fantastic work your doing! I still know I owe you that odsidian. I've not forgoten seems like one thing after another is just comming up and keeping me from doing anyting.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:27:59 pm »
Nice skinners, Cowboy.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:03:12 pm »
Sharp looking blades, Paul (pun intended lol)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:28:41 am »
Very nice,They should do the job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:03:15 am »
very nice . you should send those to that molly hatchet dude on the horn bow post. lol

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:19:11 am »
You're a talented knapper! Nice work. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 02:46:13 pm »
Man, those are great. And Jamie is right, Dark Lord now has a bow, but no edged weapons.

What do you recommend a newbie-never-done-before-person like me do to get started knapping? Any books you would suggest, maybe?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 02:56:50 pm »
Dane there are a bunch of free videos on Youtube, at leats you can get some idear of whats involved.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »
Dane, One book on knapping I would recommend is...FLINTKNAPPING, Making and Understanding Stone Tools.   By John C. Whittaker.(U of Texas Press, Austin TX...  John Whittaker is a professor of Archeology and a knapper and he discusses not only how to make arrow heads but the process on how to start with simple stone tools and work your way to arrow heads, etc. Very informative, easy to understand line drawings and explanations.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 07:12:22 pm »
  Very nice looking blades Paul.I need to chip some rock,but it's just too hot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 08:53:56 pm »
Thanks guys! yep their sharp, at least sharp enough to skin and scrape, and cut yourself if'n you miss ;D. Your right the Dark Lord does need a knife to go with that outfit, something big and eccentric with more than one horn sticking out of it.
  Dane: their's one book I studied on when I was beginning - went over it several times and got me on my way. Don't know if it's at horsefeather's or not (they have several) but it's DC Waldorf's The art of Flintknapping. I did set in with a guy once and he learned me about the Ishi stick, other'n that it's a matter of tonage ;).

Couple of you guys are goin to get a surprise in the mail ::)..........................................
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 01:13:44 am »
                 Real nice knives Paul.......bob

Offline Dane

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 10:32:18 am »
Thanks guys! yep their sharp, at least sharp enough to skin and scrape, and cut yourself if'n you miss ;D. Your right the Dark Lord does need a knife to go with that outfit, something big and eccentric with more than one horn sticking out of it.
  Dane: their's one book I studied on when I was beginning - went over it several times and got me on my way. Don't know if it's at horsefeather's or not (they have several) but it's DC Waldorf's The art of Flintknapping. I did set in with a guy once and he learned me about the Ishi stick, other'n that it's a matter of tonage ;).

Couple of you guys are goin to get a surprise in the mail ::)..........................................

LOL. Call it the Blade of Adamant, with lots of spikie things.

Thanks, Dana, Pat, Cowboy. I'll check out all those sources, and begin to learn yet another skill :) This stuff is addictive, ain't it?
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts