Author Topic: How short, how deep?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

How short, how deep?
« on: October 13, 2011, 07:42:37 pm »
I have a stick of hickory that I was going to use to make another bow like the one I named "grace".  This was basicaly a flat bow with ELB proportions tken right from that "how to make an ELB" PDF from the 50's.  I liked it alot!

I want to try something mroe aproaching a recurve and shorter.  I considered a deep reflex deflex but I kinda want to make a recurve, bamboo backed, along the lines of the Osage buildalong that was featured here recently with brush nocks.  The recurves were cut extra thin, dry heated and laminated with contrasting woods.  I think If I got the laminated recurve route I dont' even need to pre bend.

The hickory piece is 1.25" wide tops.  NOT table saw cut so after cleaning up it could be less.  How short is adviseable to go on the overall stave length?  I get the sense that the recurve tips don't flex or don't flex much.  So then in a way we are talking about a Molly bow, but with a curved and smaller lever.  I've read that recurves are wider to prevent stability issues.  What sort of taper can I get away with here?  It may be for a friend so I'd hate to send it off and hear that it broke.

Will it even work to make a recurve (static) with the handle as the widest part of the bow?  Undrawn profile will be a flat bow but with curved tips.

Thanks,
PB

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: How short, how deep?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:30:31 pm »
Sounds like you don't have much wood. Seems narrow. I would floor tiller it and reflex the last 8 inches. I'd use dry heat. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 03:07:56 am »
Turns out it's 1" wide exactly.  What about the length on a static recurve?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:29:25 am »
PB, that sounds like it would work. I just told you what I would do. LOL. I have my inherent prejudices in bows. I admit it. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:39:24 am »
I guess I sould be more clear.  Tip to tip length minimum?

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 12:58:53 am »
  If the bow is only 1" wide I think I would make it bend through the handle maybe 66" long or so for a 28" draw. Unless the bow is very light weight like around 35# or so.