Author Topic: 53"sinew backed osage (updated 12/11/11)  (Read 25174 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
53"sinew backed osage (updated 12/11/11)
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:34:50 pm »
At last years Classic Gary Davis walked up to me and handed this short stave to me. He said he wanted to see what I could do with it. It was obviously meant to be a kids bow as Gary had it marked with "35#". When I saw it I immediately thought short sinew backed bow. She is about 53"t/t, 1 1/8" wide at the widest and a little bit of snakey character.
  The stave was straight limbed with some backset in it as is the usual with Gary's staves. I added the reflexed tips and did a little tillering but it didn't need much.
  I began sinew backing it about a month ago. As of now I have put down 2 layers, the first one from the salvaged sinew from my last failed "Elkie" sinew attempt and just the other day I added about 3 or 4 back sinews worth of sinew.. Before adding any sinew A put in about 5"+ of backset by placing the tips up on blocks and drawing the handle down , using a sinew loop and a small cup hook. I figured the sinew loop wood blend in with the rest of the sinew when it was time to take it off the form and I cut off the loop.   I will let the sinew cure for a month or so then complete the tillering. I plan to cover the sinew back with snake skin and add tip overlays and a handle wrap to purty her up some. So, here she is as of now...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:13:44 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

Re: 53"sinew backed osage
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:11:02 pm »
Looking sweeeet pat. I like how your adding the reflex with the sinew loop. Never seen that one before. Where did ya learn that neat trick?

Can't wait to see her all finished up and how much reflex you hold.   :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 03:31:20 pm »
I tried to figure how to hold the handle down. If I used string it might not adhere where the sinew goes over it so I tried the sinew loop and it seems to work good. The sinew in the loop will become part of the sinew/glue matrix when all said and done and the rest of the loop will be removed.
  After I added the first sinew the loop got less tought as the sinew dried. It is pretty tight again now but should loosen a bit as the sinew backing draws the bow into backset.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 03:36:24 pm »
Bet it will be a fast shooter,like to see her when you get her done

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 03:42:54 pm »
I'm sure you will get to see her next spring either at the Classic or at Hickory, Yeti.

Offline Hunter Van Winkle

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 03:44:33 pm »
nice!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 04:16:19 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing how this bow turns out. Are you going to let it bend through the handle?
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 04:22:30 pm »
Gordon, it should bend through the handle a bit at full draw if all works out right.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 04:24:51 pm »
  Looking forward to this one Pat, keep us posted.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 04:26:23 pm »
I will Steve. I'm looking forward to it too!  ;D

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 04:38:43 pm »
I thought about doing that same thing Pat to pull one into reflex while sinewing. I need to finish up sinewing my Juniper bow and I think I will do it like you did here.

Look forward to seeing this little shortie at full draw.

Stiks
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 05:23:36 pm »
this some thing i have been waiting for...i have some short osage..and wanted to see how much of thickness the handle should be...thanks for sharing pat....john

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 05:57:54 pm »
Lookin good Pat.  What kind of skins are you thinking about using?  I can't wait to see what you are able to do with that snakey osage stave.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 06:59:04 pm »
Clint, that's a ways down the road but I have a few skins to choose from. I'll let the near finished bow decide what she likes best in the wardrobe dept.  ;)  You've got enough osage now to make about 1000 of these little bows.  ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 07:29:04 pm »
That is looking perfect Pat.  I'm loving sinew backed bows more and more these days.  I have a couple that are about ready for the same treatment.  There is just something about the feel of a short sinew bow that screams  "Shoot me"  Looking forward to seeing her finished.