Author Topic: first time deer hunting ever!  (Read 2127 times)

youngbowyer

first time deer hunting ever!
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:34:17 pm »
This morning i took my hunter ed course. I passed the test with 58/60 questions right and 3/5 arrows into a 6 inch circle. Once I got home I purchased my license and by 3 o'clock i was in my stand. Legally  i'm not supposed to be hunting alone till next week when i turn 14 but since its private property and i just couldnt wait any longer i went anyway. It was around 58 degrees and quite breezy. I had been sitting in the stand for about an hour and i had only seen squirrels and chipmunks. I decided to get outa the stand and scout the woods. Before I knew it I spotted 2 does feeding on the apples the landowners put out. I stalked them and got within 40 yards when the wind picked up and sent my scent over to them. I felt as if they were looking straight at me and it remained that way for about 5 minutes. Finally they turned around and trotted away. I didn't get a deer but it sure was very exciting and I think quite succesful for my very first deer hunt!

Offline lowell

Re: first time deer hunting ever!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:08:22 pm »
youngbowyer....

I think I envy you ...just starting out in your bowhunting adventures.  Enjoy your successes and your failures.

Remember ...look much and move little!!

All the best to you!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:07:10 am »
Sounds like a perfect first hunt. Did the deer flag their tails when they ran or just run off? If they just ran off without flagging they probably didn't know what you were and may have come back.
  Congradulations on passing your hunters ed course, getting your license and hitting the woods. You are destine to be a hunter!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:49:50 pm »
That is awesome.....enjoy the time hunting and learning all you can.  And remember safety first.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:24:42 pm »
sounds great what kind of bow ere you useing???

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 03:32:38 pm »
  Here's something my granddad told me when I started out as a kid. When you see a deer ask yourself these 3 questions. I've did this on every deer I've ever saw and still do aftr 40 year. After a while you'll see a pattern.
  (1) why's he there
  (2) where'd he come from
  (3) where's he going
 After a while you know all the answers as soon as you see the deer.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING