Author Topic: who thinks its impossible  (Read 2492 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
who thinks its impossible
« on: October 17, 2011, 01:09:32 am »
i recently got a nice red maple sapling, very few knots, and large enough for a warbow,
first off, i KNOW it is not the best bow wood, let alone something that qualifies for even an iffy warbow wood, but i want to see what happens if i try to get 150+out of it, it will be 7ft( if it holds i might cut i down a little, just want a very long length to help with the stress)
i know some might think it a waste of time, but i am taking this as a personal challenge to see what i can actually do with a marginal bow wood
so.... who thinks its a waste and who thinks there is any chance ( either way your response will help, since im a teenager and a stubborn one at that, anyone telling me it wont work will make me work harder..... encouragement doesn't hurt either ;))
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: who thinks its impossible
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:56:27 am »
Noel, it won't be due to lack of enthusiasm that break that bow and you will learn a bunch about the properties of red maple and humility in the process. Go for it and keep us posted.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:42:19 am »
Noel, it won't be due to lack of enthusiasm that break that bow and you will learn a bunch about the properties of red maple and humility in the process. Go for it and keep us posted.

X2 go for it, don't hurt to try right, but we want pictures
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:17:38 am »
I expect it's possible, I just don't think it will be a very good bow.
My guess is would think it needs to be V long and it will have plenty of set and be sluggish....smooth yes, but sluggish.
I'm all for a bit of experimentation, it's how we learn, and often sometimes doing the 'wrong' thing yields surprising results.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:07:32 am »
Ok...ill play the pessimist here.....it wont work >:D....and you can't pull back 150+ anyways ;)

But seriously you prob can get it too work if way overbuilt....but as del mentioned it'll take lots o set and be sluggish. But go right ahead and learn something,and if you enjoy yourself awhile doing it,then that's all that matters.  :)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 12:39:15 pm »
thanks , i wil go for it and post pics , i so realize it wont be the best shooting bow and will take lots of set, but it will be good to get a little more experience, learn the properties of the wood, and if it holds, i can use it for weight training, shortening it as i get stronger( hopefully) it will take the place of the black tupelo bow i did almost the same with, but over the summer, as the wood was finishing seasoning( i didn't know about letting it season when i started last winter) i acidentaly left it strung so it has lst alot of weight :'(
also, i figured, with a wood as common as this, i can always get more and its not hard for me to find so why not experiment, and del, imm hopeing this is one of those times ::)
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what