Author Topic: TIller BLOCK, please help... pics added  (Read 3502 times)

Offline jermcramp1

TIller BLOCK, please help... pics added
« on: October 18, 2011, 01:06:20 am »
I'm working on my second bow, its a rip off of ken75's shorty hickory/walnut molly, kind of...

56" t2t    10"static   2"fade   12"working  2"fade  4"handle

I've got it to a 4" brace and its about 35# @ 17, I'm working slowly and working limbs seems to be bending equally, but one of the limbs is twisting a little when i flex it, its kind of corkscrewing slightly,  I have a 4" gizmo but I cant use it because the limbs are too short, I tried to make a 2" long gizmo but it didnt work either...

I've got tiller block, any advice would be greatly appreciated

You can see how the left front is rotating down

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67205343@N04/6263092285/in/photostream/lightbox/

How far clockwise the limb is twisting

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67205343@N04/6263615788/in/photostream/lightbox/

and at 4" brace

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67205343@N04/6263093435/in/photostream/lightbox/

morw twisting

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67205343@N04/6263094765/in/photostream/lightbox/

I have been working the limb slowly but have seen minimal untwist and an worried about ending up too light...

I am at a standstill guys, sorry about the pic links, not sure how to do it otherwise...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:47:25 am by jermcramp1 »
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline johnston

Re: TIller BLOCK, please help
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 01:27:42 am »
The pics are probably essential for help. Just don't mess up through impatience.

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:38:05 am »
Check the side to side thickness of the limb that is twisting. Sounds like one side is thicker than the other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:55:03 am »
What Pat said. These bows do have a mind of their own. LOL. Inspect the limbs after taking a few passes to make sure the wood removal is equal. At any rate, remove wood from the HIGH side..the side furthest from the string when stave is strung in your case. PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE. TOUGH MORNING. Sorry. Jawge
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:08:20 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 11:18:38 am »
Here's a link to a thread discussing tiller-induced twisting.  Perhaps you'll find it useful.  :)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27206.msg364029.html#msg364029
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 12:48:46 pm »
Wow, thanks for the link!  it seems so simple now...I had to put it down last night cause I couldn't figure out which  side to work on.

Thanks guys, I will still post pics asap.

One more question, I'm shooting for 45-50# @ 28",

How should I step up the weight vs inches from where I'm at now at 35# 17"? I don't want to over stress too early

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:52:26 pm »
Keep pulling till you see an uneven tiller or you hit the target weight !
As long as the tiller is even thru the entire bending areas ,and the two limbs are even then you can keep pulling to your target weight (50lbs)
keep working it this way till you get to about an inch less than draw length ,save that last inch for sanding !
One other thing to watch is for a change in unstrung look (or set to start)
 Keep it simple Keep it fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline jermcramp1

Re: TIller BLOCK, please help... pics added
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:09:55 pm »
Plenty pics at the links...

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:35 am »
Ok, saw the almost full draw pic and I gotta ask, how does it shoot? I mean sure it has some twist but does it shoot bad? Ain't saying you should not try to fix it and there are folks on here who can help...but hell, it looks like a shooter to me.
Nice work on the grip.

Lane

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 11:30:29 am »
I havent pulled it past 17" or 35#, been scared since I punched myself in the eye when my first one blew up on me. But I guess so long as the string tracks over center a little twist doesnt matter too much huh?

I'm taking it to the country this weekend so hopefully I can get me a deer quickly so I can finish her up. i was really hoping to get my first bow deer with my trad bow but as my first one died and this one aint done yet I gotta use the training wheels...

Thanks about the handle, I think I'm going to add wedges of hickory over the walnut to give me a more secure grip,   |\ /| something like that