Author Topic: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)  (Read 275994 times)

Offline dmills

Re: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2014, 12:58:18 pm »
Great tutorial.  This is my first visit to this board and my first post.  I am just getting into Traditional Archery.  I am going to get started on these arrows today.  What length feathers are you using?  There aren't any pre-cut feathers available locally, so I am left with ordering some online. 

Thanks.

Offline mikaluger (Mick Kay)

« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2014, 06:18:29 am »
All done!!!!
Thanks for the inspiration.

Offline mikaluger (Mick Kay)

« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2014, 07:40:22 am »
and some more.....

Offline Brock

« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2014, 10:33:27 pm »
I bought three bags....saved 8 shoots....picked one out and it broke as I was bending too hard during straightening.  I actually think these are a little TOO DRY and need to be greener but worked on another anyhow.  The next I got somewhat straight doing nodules first and then shaft in between later.  I did not want to use sinew or pine pitch for my PRACTICE work since I dont have very much...so pulled out some serving string from my flemish string gear....the glue pot...and some super glue.

Not the prettiest but it spins true...and after I make another I will shoot this first one to see how it flies in a worn out block target or into some dirt/sand....so if it is destroyed I wont cry after putting three days into this first ugly one. LOL  I found someone that has some bamboo in their yard growing wild...and they are always having to pay someone to cut it ...so going to see if they have any young shoots I can cut green and tie in bundles for next go around.  Thanks for the tutorial....  now to finish my hickory bow by myself and after a few more bows maybe start on knapping. LOL

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:36:37 pm by Brock »

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2014, 10:37:22 am »
Nice work fellas!
"Indian makes small fire, sits close.
White man makes big fire, sits far away."

- Stalking Wolf

Offline RLimerick

« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2015, 10:21:31 am »
Great detailed thread.  I love cane arrows.  It's nature's carbon fiber.  I have developed a two fletch method for cane arrows that uses duct tape that I really should post.  Love that cane!

Offline DC

« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2015, 07:46:37 pm »
I was looking for a slick way of using screw-in points on my boo shafts and I lucked on to Chicago extension screws. The ones I had in my junk drawer are 8-32 thread(standard for points) and the outside dia. is the same as the shoulder on the points (.200"). I found some more at Home Depot. Just drill the end of the arrow with a No5 (.205") drill, push the extension screw into the hole the right distance, add a couple drops of CA. You can see all the parts in the picture. I'm going to wrap the end for a little insurance.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2015, 07:50:19 pm »
Wrapping is a must on cane......
DBar
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:25:55 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2015, 02:44:27 pm »
This is an excellent tutorial!  I have played around with the idea of making my own arrows, and bamboo appeals to me on a few levels.  I think it's meant to be, because I just found a heat gun in the basement of my work!  Will have to test it out and get a hold of some of the other materials.  Hopefully my next post on this thread will be some nice bamboo arrows.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2015, 08:48:37 am »
Brock, if you cut the bamboo pull it over and cut the top part of the mature bamboo. The new, green shoots are too immature to make a good arrow once it dries.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline loon

« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2015, 03:39:59 pm »
Awesome thread

You don't drill the nodes prior to heating? I've read that they can blow up if you don't. korean fletchers seem to drill them?
(edit: This shouldn't matter with tonkin bamboo, guess sasa koreana is much more hollow)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:39:45 pm by loon »

Offline loon

« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2016, 06:41:07 pm »
Just received a ton of bamboo. Will post pictures after I find time to heat straighten some, fletch them etc. Just tried to heat treat one in the electric stove downstairs, was pretty frustrating. Maybe I should make arrow straightening tools, not easy to be precise by just using a towel.

Seems like heat straightening is the hardest part. Maybe a heat gun will help.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:26:18 pm by loon »

Offline DC

« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2016, 08:34:01 pm »
Do you have a barbeque? Or grill down in the States? I set it at about 300 degrees and stick the shaft in the rotisserie hole. Leave the lid closed. Use the lightest oven mitts you can find to bend them into shape. It only takes 30 seconds or so. This will get you close.

Offline loon

« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2016, 09:14:05 pm »
Do you have a barbeque? Or grill down in the States? I set it at about 300 degrees and stick the shaft in the rotisserie hole. Leave the lid closed. Use the lightest oven mitts you can find to bend them into shape. It only takes 30 seconds or so. This will get you close.
30 seconds of heating each time? Or total?? or for a section?

Offline DC

« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2016, 12:44:28 pm »
About 30 sec each time, the first time for each arrow takes a little more. My barbecue is long enough to heat almost the full length. You can get most of the big whoop de do's out on the first go. Your time will vary so sneak up on it a bit. I use these gloves. The black spots are silicone lumps. They are nice and light and way less cumbersome than a towel. They came in my Christmas stocking, I have no idea where they came from.