Author Topic: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)  (Read 274285 times)

Offline tenbrook

Re: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2012, 11:10:19 am »
Great lookin' arrows!

Good job.

Tenbrook
"Indian makes small fire, sits close.
White man makes big fire, sits far away."

- Stalking Wolf

Offline wolleybugger

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2012, 07:39:51 pm »
Just made a couple of arrows just like the build along. Easy to do and a lot of fun.

Archero

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2012, 11:01:34 am »
I have built BAmboo Arrows for over 40 years and have always reinforced the Knock and point with a dowel , Nic4e build up. Thanks

Offline ncpat

« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2012, 02:20:53 am »
Nice work! I want to try this. I've never made arrows before & this looks like a good start. The duplex nail is a great idea for points. 

Why do you keep your arrows at 32"? Do you have a long draw? Most "experts" I've heard or read have said make the arrow barely longer than your draw, 1 inch extra for broadheads.

Do you buy your feathers or gather them in the outdoors?

You said some people don't sand the nodes. Seems like this would make the arrow totally inaccurate, several nodes would hit & bounce from the rest wouldn't they?
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2012, 07:14:03 pm »
ncpat, dont let that 1'' past rule bother you. When it concerns length you should worry about arrow spine and not how close th tip is to your hand
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2012, 11:05:12 pm »
Do any of you have any other cheap ideas for field points, I dust don't like how the nail looks
I like free stuff.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2012, 10:15:04 pm »
@newindian i think it was bevan who shaped his nails with glue and they looked awesome, maybe he will post a pic or 2,

@ncpat, my uncle had a great idea, to cut them shorter would make them stiffer, so instead of inserting a dowel and adding a glue on point, insert a nail w/o the head and taper it like you would a dowel and then add the glue on head, much more weight to counterbalance the stiffness from cutting short, then to mess w/ weight you can change glue on head weight of the nail length(+ or - weight)
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline AJMag

« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2012, 01:29:54 am »
This is not only my first two arrows made from this method, but my first two arrows ever made, fletched, or anything other than just gluing on tips.  Its a hard life being a broke college student, but worth it enjoy making everything from scratch. This was a load of fun, thanks for the tutorial! I definitely learned a few things along the way to try on the next ones. Can't wait to fling 'em.

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2012, 12:16:06 pm »
This is not only my first two arrows made from this method, but my first two arrows ever made, fletched, or anything other than just gluing on tips.  Its a hard life being a broke college student, but worth it enjoy making everything from scratch. This was a load of fun, thanks for the tutorial! I definitely learned a few things along the way to try on the next ones. Can't wait to fling 'em.

Your arrows look great!  I really like the fletching.

Good job! ;)

- Stalking Wolf

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2012, 12:18:11 pm »
Just made a couple of arrows just like the build along. Easy to do and a lot of fun.

Glad you liked it!

- Stalking Wolf

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2012, 12:23:27 pm »
I have built BAmboo Arrows for over 40 years and have always reinforced the Knock and point with a dowel , Nic4e build up. Thanks

If you saw the part where I mounted a field point I did use a dowel to reinforce the point section of the shaft.  However when using the duplex nail this is not necessary as the nail provides all the strength needed.

As far as the nock end.  I set it up right in front of a node for the extra strength it provides.  Never had a problem.  I also saturate the nock in CA glue when finished.

I would love to see some of the arrows you build.  If you get a chance please post a picture or two.

Thanks!  :)

Tenbrook

- Stalking Wolf

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2012, 08:21:58 pm »
hi guys . im new to the site  i have been lookin over the site  for months now . i am tryin to  make me sum cain arrows . and i just have a ?  do u ever get  the shafts compleaty strate or . do u just go on  getting them as strate as u can get them. and as longe as there is no majar wobble to them. 

Offline AJMag

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2012, 08:35:40 pm »
I haven't been at this long myself, but I can't say mine are "straight as an arrow". Mine always seem to have some sort of dip and curve, especially around a drastic node. However, I found that they fly pretty darn good considering, so just make a couple as straight as you can and try 'em out, that's about all you can really do anyways. And post some pics.

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2012, 10:04:25 pm »
ok  thank you for the info . i hope to be able to make  sum really good arrows .but for the first try at it . im not sure how good they well be . i do have sum pics . i am  going to have to try and find me sum  Feathers thout about usein sum tape to make Fletching. to try  them out . here is one of them that is done .well almost .
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:08:02 pm by littlehunters19862011 »

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2012, 10:55:32 pm »
Nice Job Littlehunters!!!

- Stalking Wolf