Author Topic: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)  (Read 274303 times)

Offline artcher1

Re: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2011, 01:06:34 pm »
Yeah, that artificial sinew and super glue just isn't a good combination for what you need Jonathan. Upholstery thread works much better. I've used the thread and epoxy years ago on the old fiberglass behind  the points with excellent results. So I know it'll work fine for bamboo also.

Bamboo comes in all sizes so it's a good idea to have the different size points available (5/16", 11/32" and 23/64") for a better fit.

Offline SGTKaveman

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2011, 02:18:23 am »
Here are my latest.  Tonkin cane,  sinew & yucca fiber wrap, with hide glue.  Stone points.

Offline SGTKaveman

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2011, 02:20:36 am »
Close up if the business end.  Some of those are Douglas Fir.

Offline mighty joe

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2011, 12:30:43 pm »
very nice work
the only easy day was yesterday and that's how i like it.

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2011, 07:26:43 pm »
Lookin' sweet my friend.

Nice arrows!  ;)
"Indian makes small fire, sits close.
White man makes big fire, sits far away."

- Stalking Wolf

Offline paulc

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2012, 09:48:41 am »
Morning everyone, I found this thread duing the holiday break and was inspired to make up 6 arrows from cane I had cut last year. I decided to include the advice of not sanding the nodes to preserve some more strength in the nodes.  So I heated and rolled the nodes under a chunck of pressure treated 2x6. 

The nodes did not flatten flush with the shaft, but I was able to easily reduce the flare a lot.  But since they are not flush it has caused me some grief with the fletching being long enough to go beyond a node.  I have some fletching that extends just beyond the node so the ends of the fletching are wanting to sit proud above the shaft a bit.  The problem is made worse by my not stripping the feathers carefully enough(i guess).  I will still be able to have fletchings that are between 4-5 inches long, and the test arrow seems to shoot well from my bow but it is something to consider when making your arrows.  Either get the nodes flush to the shaft or cut your fletchings to length based on distance between the nodes.  And strip your feathers carefully. 

Anyway, thought I would share.  I don't have any pics this morning but I hope after work this week to finish at least a couple arrows so I will try to post some pics then.

Paulc

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2012, 11:01:27 am »
Morning everyone, I found this thread duing the holiday break and was inspired to make up 6 arrows from cane I had cut last year. I decided to include the advice of not sanding the nodes to preserve some more strength in the nodes.  So I heated and rolled the nodes under a chunck of pressure treated 2x6. 

The nodes did not flatten flush with the shaft, but I was able to easily reduce the flare a lot.  But since they are not flush it has caused me some grief with the fletching being long enough to go beyond a node.  I have some fletching that extends just beyond the node so the ends of the fletching are wanting to sit proud above the shaft a bit.  The problem is made worse by my not stripping the feathers carefully enough(i guess).  I will still be able to have fletchings that are between 4-5 inches long, and the test arrow seems to shoot well from my bow but it is something to consider when making your arrows.  Either get the nodes flush to the shaft or cut your fletchings to length based on distance between the nodes.  And strip your feathers carefully. 

Anyway, thought I would share.  I don't have any pics this morning but I hope after work this week to finish at least a couple arrows so I will try to post some pics then.

Paulc

Thanks for the tip.

Fletching over a node would be a PITA.

Since I use a node to setup my Self-nock it never seems to be a problem.  The nodes are far enough apart that if there is one on the nock then the next one would be at least 10-14" higher making room for your fletching to fit.

Thanks again and post some pictures of your finished arrow when you get a chance.

Tenbrook  ;)

- Stalking Wolf

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 11:24:47 am »
I use silk embroidery floss (lots of color choices) for my wraps and I found that you can buy Krazy Glue comes in a brushable form that goes on purple and dries clear. I saturate the wrap and also carefully brush some along the base of the quill on the fletching.

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2012, 12:19:42 pm »
I use silk embroidery floss (lots of color choices) for my wraps and I found that you can buy Krazy Glue comes in a brushable form that goes on purple and dries clear. I saturate the wrap and also carefully brush some along the base of the quill on the fletching.

Thanks for the tip.

I sometimes use Upholstery Thread.  Man that stuff is strong! 

Have to try the silk.  Bet that looks nice.

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks

Tenbrook

- Stalking Wolf

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2012, 12:56:51 am »
This is the most useful buildalong I have seen yet, home depot only sells those stakes in the planting season so I have to wait >:(
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2012, 01:30:37 pm »
THEY have 'em. by the way a pack of 10 at home depot stakes is the price of 1 at lowes so im gonna buy them at home depot, but i plan on using fletching tape not sinew wraps. will post pics on this thread when done
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline hayawatha

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2012, 09:25:18 pm »
This is cool i hope to get to home depot  soon so i can get started
Way Cool   8)

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2012, 12:48:30 am »
THEY have 'em. by the way a pack of 10 at home depot stakes is the price of 1 at lowes so im gonna buy them at home depot, but i plan on using fletching tape not sinew wraps. will post pics on this thread when done

Can't wait to see the pictures....You do great work!

- Stalking Wolf

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2012, 12:49:23 am »
This is cool i hope to get to home depot  soon so i can get started
Way Cool   8)

Thanks! ;)

- Stalking Wolf

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2012, 06:31:05 pm »
Hayawatha, u dont need to go 2 home depot. If you de-bark some of those old hickory staves for me I will pay you in bamboo shafts, or arrows, or glue on nocks&heads or fletching. But if you do decide to take the trip over mid winter break while I'm away I could take some of those arrow materials off your hands for some of those items above that you would still need