Author Topic: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)  (Read 274302 times)

Offline littlehunters19862011

Re: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2012, 12:00:24 am »
thank you vary much .  its not as hard as i thout it would be .and bye useing my little round fire pit the shafts can roll acrose the top of it so i can test of strait they are while i  am  heating them up to straitin them so it has worked out purty good . im thakin about makein sum foreshaftes for them. cus i cut them a lil short at 29 witch is not a problem but i should have made them 32 33" so i would have sum more room if the tip broke .what types of wood works good for foreshafts?

Offline AJMag

« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2012, 12:15:35 am »
How long is your draw length?  I cut all mine at around 29" and have no problem. I also shove a dowel down both ends, cut a self nock and taper down the tip for glue on field points. Pretty sure any good arrow wood would make a good foreshaft. I'd glue on a couple tips and see how you like it.

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2012, 05:10:21 pm »
yes ill have to try that . my draw length is 28 . with the 40lbs Recurve Bow i am shooting

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2012, 03:44:49 am »
I went to the True Value and they had packs of 25 3' bamboo but I didn't think I'd get more than 5-6 usable shafts out of the pack for me, but maybe 10 for my son.  A few of them were split. But the bug has been planted. I'll be heading to Wally World tomorrow.

I'm thinking hardwood re-inforced self nocks, 1/4" dowel reinforced tips for glue on points.

Has anyone gotten shafts that spine #75 or more?
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2012, 12:10:01 am »
Nothing that stiff from home depot of lowes so far...
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline driftingrz

« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »
I bought the pack of bamboo from lowes probably a month ago and finally made up a few last night. gave up on trying to find my heatgun and resorted to a candle.. tedious but i needed some arrows.. what good is the bow i finished if i dont have anything to shoot  ;D

got the straightened.. sanded nocks cut and a 2 feather turkey fletch done.. only had 24 fletchings so im gonna make quite a few beater arrows till i get good with traditional equip.

anybody else have field/target point ideas besides the duplex nails? i dont really have a way to sharpen them without spending an hour on each point by hand... anything store bought or homemade?

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2012, 01:18:20 am »
38 special cases are pretty good for blunts and if you like they made a whole topic about homade points that's got some pretty good stuff
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2012, 02:01:09 pm »
You can buy glue on field points.  If you go this route, get different diameter points; bamboo tends to come in a variety of sizes.
OR, you can use screw on points since bamboo is hollow.  But you'll most likely need to file it down some to get it to fit.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline driftingrz

« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »
I thought about regular screw in points but wasnt sure. Might try those on next batch

Offline boughnut

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2012, 06:01:48 pm »
Glad I saw this thanks for posting I was just thinking of a way to test the spine weight and make them even as I have a set of arrows and some shoot straight and some shoot high and left need to do some matching up on them.  Thanks for the info

Offline Strong Leaf

« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2012, 08:26:08 pm »
Thank you to tenbrook for making a great build along. Here are my first pair. The points are obsidian and were purchased at a rock shop and I imagine that they were not made for hunting, just display. I am not sure if they will survive the test shots because they are not an uniform thickness throughout the point. Thanks again :)

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:55 pm »
Your arrows look amazing Strong Leaf.....Very good job!!! ;)
"Indian makes small fire, sits close.
White man makes big fire, sits far away."

- Stalking Wolf

Offline vyadha

« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2012, 03:18:51 am »
I read through the whole thread and didn't see anything on making foreshafts. Anyone want to show how to do that bit?
Are the foreshafts tapered or are they like the 3rivers tenon cuts?

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2012, 11:28:32 am »
I read through the whole thread and didn't see anything on making foreshafts. Anyone want to show how to do that bit?

Your best bet would be to do a search here or make a new post in the arrow forum.

Thanks

Tenbrook
"Indian makes small fire, sits close.
White man makes big fire, sits far away."

- Stalking Wolf

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2012, 07:02:44 pm »

From what I'm seeing, both the foreshaft, and the tenon cut horn nocks are a solution looking for a problem.

The bamboo seems good enough with a reinforced self-nock, and a glued on tip.
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600