Author Topic: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)  (Read 274305 times)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2016, 10:00:12 am »
Oh my bad, thought you were using a jig with the glue.

Offline DC

« Reply #196 on: December 06, 2016, 12:47:35 pm »
I discovered a weakness with bamboo. You can't drive over them with your car :( :( :( ;)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #197 on: December 07, 2016, 01:22:58 pm »
I discovered a weakness with bamboo. You can't drive over them with your car :( :( :( ;)

Well crap, now I have to reconsider my ammunition...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2016, 02:29:55 am »
I was wondering what to do with all the dup heads nails I bought to make a string jig:) !!   Now I got to go to Home Depot or Lowe's.  Haven't made any primitive arrows yet, but I like the fletching tape on my modern arrows.  Haven't had one come loose yet :)?   Nice build up Ten Brooks.  When I get some arrows made up, I will post the pics, assuming I have picked up on that photobucket trick :) :(  Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline loon

« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2017, 12:11:44 am »
Anyone used just a drill and not a sander for the duplex points? I tried spinning it on a file but it didn't seem to work..

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2017, 06:32:57 pm »
I tried that.  It doesn't work.  Just ruined a file.  I think you need the added movement of either the belt sander or the bench grinder.  Could be you just need the right surface (angle grinder wheel, or cutoff wheel maybe?)  On a belt sander I can grind a point down in a matter of less than a minute.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2017, 11:00:33 pm »
If you move this thread here, it ought to still be a sticky.  This is the thread that got me to PA, and many of us still use it as a reference when making arrows. I would hate to see it get buried. Please consider my request. This and the gizmo thread may be the two most important threads on the site.

Thanks.

Offline loon

« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2017, 12:45:27 am »
Thanks for stickying it!
 Wish there was more info on arrow straightening though, it's so difficult..

Offline DC

« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2017, 01:04:57 pm »
It's really just practice. Just keep at it and all of a sudden one day you'll say, "This ain't so tough."

Offline khperkins

« Reply #204 on: March 04, 2017, 09:51:45 am »
Found a good deal at Marden's (a discount store). $.99 at 33% of for about 5 in a package. Only about 4 ft long but can't beat the price. Gonna give this a shot soon.

Offline loon

« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2017, 10:22:41 pm »
I tried that.  It doesn't work.  Just ruined a file.
Sorry...

I might try just hacksawing the outer head off, then hammering to a point.. I need a better hacksaw anyway.

Offline loon

« Reply #206 on: April 11, 2017, 11:30:16 pm »
I used an angle grinder and a drill for one. It didn't come out symmetric.. maybe I shouldn't apply any pressure with the drill, and try to keep a consistent angle. it's a bit difficult to deal with two hand-held power tools, especially when one is as crazy as an angle grinder.

Also, most of the duplex nails just aren't straight.  >:( Maybe that's why the point didn't come out symmetric, and centered!

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2017, 02:55:04 pm »
Just put dowels in 2 cane arrows. both my nock and point ends are splitting.Either my dowls are too large or my drill bits are too small. I will get this but it took me years to do these two so.........

Offline JEB

« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2017, 07:13:45 am »
Chief Rid, I went to the dollar store and bought some bamboo skewer sticks and glue them into each end of the bamboo shafts by using titebond II. That really beefs up the ends of the arrows and allows me to use a taper tool for standard nocks and field points or cut the ends for self nocks and stone points.

I glue in about 3" of skewer stick.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2017, 10:04:11 am »
Thanks JEB. Do you just cut the lengths and use enough of them to fill the hole without splitting the shaft? I was just thinking. I use the 3 Rivers taper tool so the shaft diameter has to be exactly correct for the tool to work. Has anyone solved this problem?