Author Topic: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)  (Read 274309 times)

Offline JEB

Re: Home Depot Garden Stake Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2017, 08:26:54 pm »
Right, I may have to sand the skewer stick a bit so it will slide into the hole and then cut the stick to length. Some don't think it is necessary but there is something about a hole in the middle of thee arrow doesn't sound right.lol

Offline DC

« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2017, 09:34:08 pm »
I glue about an inch of skewer in the nock end. One of the best things I ever bought was a complete set of numbered, lettered and fractional drill bits. Canadian Tire puts a set on sale for $60 every once in a while. Every drill bit made between .060 and .500. I just measure the skewer with calipers and pick the drill that is a few thou bigger. Perfect fit every time

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2017, 07:33:27 pm »
I went ahead and sanded the dowls to fit. I worked a bit more on sizing for my 3Rivers taper tool and sharpened the blades and adjusted for the speed nock and the ribtech broad head. I have not put finish on yet. I think this one may work. I'll try to work up a .38 shell case blunt with one tomorrow. I did a little better at straightening a few so I have some to play with. I kinda lost track of my tomato stake cane for now. I will try to sort one of them out tomorrow also. Using the masking tape to prevent splitting during the sizing of the dowls made a big difference.  :BB

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2017, 03:58:41 pm »
I applied a Tung Oil finish and fletched it up. I am scared to death to shoot it. I have not decided on a point. I might just put a judo on it and see how it does.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2017, 05:18:18 am »
I put on a field point and it shoots great! I can't wait to make another.

Offline Mailman Bill

« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2019, 09:57:31 pm »
Decided to be a bit different when I made mine.  I used an Alligator Gar Scale for the tip and used real wild turkey wing feathers and real sinew for the self nock and pine tar for the hasping and real sinew to finish it out.  The gar scale is similar to enamel like our teeth and is naturally sharp to the touch especially the natural serrated edge on one side.
Never to old to learn old stuff.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2019, 01:47:03 am »
The all primitive sure adds to the journey. That is a wall hanger for sure. I am really impressed. I shot mine into one of those new new fangled bag targets today and the nock flew off and the point stayed in the target when I pulled out the arrow. It flew pretty good. I need to make a lot more. I think I have about 3 that are ready to put on nocks and points.

Offline Mailman Bill

« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2019, 07:38:14 am »
I purchased two bundles of bamboo shafts from Home Depot.  I did good to get 4 arrows good enough to use for arrows from each bundle of 12.  Each had to be heated and bent straight.  Probably good for rabbit shooting at 10 yards but for me not good enough for deer hunting.  That's my input.
Never to old to learn old stuff.

Offline globalmark

« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2019, 12:18:23 pm »
Nice Build along and beautiful arrows everyone
here is my 2cents worth

Dont have Home depot here in the UK but very similar Bamboo many people have in there garden and there is a massive hedge of it on local Common which gets cut a lot so i made a few arrows last year from it .
same basically But i always glue some lightweight dowel in the Nock end before make the shape - and last time also did the Horn slice for strength

I also put dowel in the tip as you did But wanted the tip heavier so drilled and glued in a 10mm length of Nail before fixing the tips on -
Used those tip adaptors so can screw on different tips - works well .
Mark