Author Topic: self arrows.  (Read 7150 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
self arrows.
« on: July 15, 2007, 12:11:47 pm »
Last night I tried making my own shafts.Taking what I have seen done into my own hands.It worked ot ok. I got them relatively straight. Will put points on this week and shoot them soon. I have a question about knots on them. actually it is more like a node on bamboo. It is where a little branch came off.Do I have to cut that spot out ?or can i smoothit andorientate the nock so it will not run across the shelf?
Help me...  the wood I am using is sourwood.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: self arrows.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 01:42:49 pm »
TJ, On sourwood I use a thumb plane to reduce the thickness and adjust the spine. You can reduce those "leaf scars" or even small twigs with no ill effect. Keep playing with them but bring them to the camp-o-rama and we will work on them together. ;) I have sourwood and other hardwood and cane shoots for us to -play with.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 02:49:39 pm »
Sounds good Pat. We had a campfire last night so i took advantage of it and went to work on some shafts.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 11:03:02 pm »
Like Pat said, I just take a thumb plane, set for a fine cut, and smooth the knots down to the same diameter as the rest of the shaft, then sand it smooth. I usually take the whole shoot down to a uniform diameter, 5/16" or 11/32".
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 09:36:57 pm »
What is a thumb plane?? ???

I'm working on a batch of rose shoots and it sounds like something I need!! ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline nugget

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 09:44:56 pm »
A thumb plain is a small version of a box plain. About 2" long by about an inch wide. Works great on small projects or arrows.Lowes carries them , or about any hardware store.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 12:28:51 am »
I got mine at ACE hardware for about$5.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 11:30:15 am »
Pat you always find the good deals..

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 11:22:06 am »
Lowe's has them, they're made by Stanley, like Pat said, only cost about 5-6 bucks.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 06:36:22 pm »
    Nugget,I have an extra one you can have.I'll bring it this weekend.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 09:28:41 am »
Thanks but I have one