Author Topic: Boo,Hoo Yew  (Read 21245 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Boo,Hoo Yew
« on: July 15, 2007, 04:57:42 pm »
     Following along with the same attitude as Steve(Badger) I sadly post these pictures.I got this fine piece of yew 3 years ago at the Elberton,Ga shoot I met Pat P,Tom and little Pat B at.So,I've been taking my time with this nice piece of wood,snif,snif. :'(The bows is 61" n to n,53# @28".She is 1 1/4" out of the fades and 3/4" at the 2/3ird mark,Then goes to needle points with Desert Iron tip overlays.I put western diamond back skins on,thankyou Persimmon.The really sad part is the bow shoots fast,straight and goes back to where it was unstrung with only an inch of set equally in both limbs.See the slight hinge in the lower limb,I'm going to wrap it with sinew and then cover it with tread and do the other limb to match.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 05:01:34 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Boo,Hoo Yew
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:41:57 pm »

BooHoo....that IS sad! - i wish you best luck with the wrapping.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 06:19:27 pm »
If I looked like that I'd be sad too!  ::)  ;D  ;) The bow looks sweet!  I'll be making another yew bow in the future.   I remember you getting that stave at Elberton. Thats the year Tom B got the duo-flex glue up from Chris that I tillered for him.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 06:55:15 pm »
  Pat,sad? you're the one getting old; I can fix the bow ;) I got off the phone with Brian Melton and he suggested sliceing pieces of yew and building it up like a laminate.Sounds good to me,have a new band saw and a 10" piece off the stave.This might go from boo hoo to yew hoo.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Loki

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 07:55:16 pm »
To my untrained eye it looks Great!!
Durham,England

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 08:29:17 pm »
The fix sounds good to me
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 10:44:35 pm »
Thanks Marc,That's my seal of approval. ;D  Loki if you look at the bottom limb where it makes a sharp bend,you will see it bending more.That limb has a twist there and I thought I could work it out ,but not.Plus I screwed up >:(
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 12:36:18 am »
Eddie, I've done a few patches like Brian suggested and have a few more bows in the "corner" that need it. It is a good remedy. That is a pretty bow. Yew is nice to work with, shoots great and light in hand but drop it or bump it  :o and that can be it. Thats why I like osage...bullet proof...and for me a necessity! ;D       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mnewcomb59

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 03:44:31 am »
CAn you try bending that spot into reflex and hitting it with the heat gun?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 07:46:09 am »
  Matt,I already tried that.I think it made it weaker.
Lakeland, Florida

DBernier

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 08:04:04 am »
The "patch" suggestion sounds like a good salvage idea. Yew simply cannot be waisted. Would like to see that bow. Heck Eddie would like to see all of your bows. I put a patch in one of my BL bows and it has worked fine "so far". I will have it at Pats. Will be good to see you again.

Dick

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 09:25:13 am »
I have patched several .I put it on the belly and the trick seems to be, be sure and get
the patch thin enough so it will bend some to start with or it will pop off in the middle.
Never done yew but repaired several Hickory and Osage that way.I differently wouldn't shoot it anymore until I repaired it.Nice work all but the hinge of course. :'( Let us know the results. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 11:37:28 am »
Looks nice and I'm sure that you will get er fixed up.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 05:26:18 pm »
  Dick,It will be good to see you and all the guy's again.Cade wants to talk to everybody while we are there about getting together at his place to hunt again.Pappy I will have to get them real thin,It has a semi-rounded belly.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 01:03:12 am »
Eddie, man that is a good lookin bow - and all the work and skins and stuff. Sorry to hear about the hinge - hope the patch job works.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.