Author Topic: new bow first deer  (Read 37588 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: new bow first deer
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 04:27:40 pm »
After thinking about this for a long time I decided to share the photo of my bucks rack.   Say what you will but size does not matter. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 04:53:59 pm »
Hey, that's a great trophy!   If I see one like that on Friday, he's coming home with me too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gaur

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 06:15:27 pm »
Congratulations and building some fine primitive equipment and getting the job done with it.  My first deer was pretty similar minus my own points and it sure felt good and I thought of the hunt and making my equipment at every meal of venison from that big old doe.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 09:13:08 pm »
 Congratulations on a fine deer and a nice set of authentic primitive tackle. Well done, sir.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Postman

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 02:15:39 pm »
Great primitive tackle  - the fact you made it all yourself is the real "trophy". Besides, antlers tase terrible.
Congrats!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:31 pm »
Congrats there Iowabo this is Beadman.Good looking hard earned meat there.I hit a big doe hard too with a stone point.Right in the boiler.The blood trail quit and I never found her.Never seen her again either so I think she's dead somewhere,cause I do see her fawns.I hit a yearling later with a steel broadhead,went completely through and found her 70 or 80 yards dead.All with self bows.Got this big buck haunting me around here too I'd love to get a chance at.Congrats again on your hard earned meat.You deserve it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline iowabow

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 10:55:07 pm »
Hey Ed sorry to hear about the doe.  Good luck on the buck. The quiver you made works great and I use it everyday.  I found that a glove placed it it till I reach the stand helps quite it down.
 Ed I made a new bow since you came to the house it is 53# and it is great! Go to see you on the site!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 01:49:21 pm »
Yea John the bow looks great and you must be at one with it.Good shootin.I forget but I thought I mentioned when I visited that putting a little hand full of dead grass down in the quiver between the arrows keeps things pretty quiet too.I'm hunting from blinds mostly.They're sure moving well lately are'nt they.Till I hunt in one spot tooooo long.LOL.I used to see a lot of bucks coon hunting I thought but this bow hunting is showing me there are a heck of a lot of bucks all sizes out there.At least during rut.I'll have to get a digital camera and get acquainted with the use of it to transfer pics.Put it on the list LOL.Waiting six hours and tracking the deer about three hundred yards gets a tip of the hat from me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 11:32:31 pm »
     Congratulations, on everything! ;)  I am sure your ancestors are smiling appreciatively!  Racks?  You can't eat them! ;) ;D  That is a much tastier deer, than an older rut smelly big racked buck! ;)  Great job, and way to go on the all "PRIMITIVE" gear also!  That is a nice looking arrow head.  I like the one Twisted limbs used on his Mulely Buck also.

Wayne

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 12:49:58 pm »
well done john, glad you got it to come together for you. Wish I had seen this sooner
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline iowabow

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 01:52:42 pm »
NP I have had a great hunting season this year. This was the best hunting I have done in my life. I saw deer almost everytime I went to the stand. I am already think about next year and this year is not even over yet. during this season I built two new bows and I have plans to build one more this spring.  I am getting ready to build my arrows for next season for the two I built this season. What a rush it was to finally take a deer. Thanks to all of you guys for the help too!!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 02:00:48 pm »
Congrats ,Don't know how I missed this. Very good season I would say.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 04:42:12 pm »
A deer is a deer regardless of what you're tackle, but especially great using primitive weapons. And look at it this way, if you don't plan to mount the rack you just picked up some more bow building material. Good work in either case. I'm finding out how tough it is since moving to traditional gear full time last year. Had my first deer in range with traditional gear, during a time when it was legal to shoot. Now the only part I need to figure out is how to get the shot off when they're right there at 10 yards and can see every move I make haha.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 05:04:23 pm »
I just dont move unless it happens because if you do their gone.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 05:13:22 pm »
I also set up my stands so i can see them coming but they cant see my movement until they step into the 10 yard shot. So like I can see them through a cedar and start my draw before they step out.