Author Topic: arrows for turkeys  (Read 4780 times)

Offline IsaacW

arrows for turkeys
« on: October 27, 2011, 04:24:31 pm »
Sorry if this has been covered in depth in the past, but a search brought up A LOT of non-relevant threads.

What do you all use for turkey hunting ...  arrow-wise?  Broadheads?  I have not used bow for turkey yet, but it is on my list.  I have used flintlock, matchlock, and now want to try primitive bow.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: arrows for turkeys
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 04:48:32 pm »
I haven't turkey hunted but if I do I'd use the same head I use for deer hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:15:43 pm »
Same as for deer except usually a shorter bow because  I am usually in a blind.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 06:32:29 pm »
When I compound hunted I used the Steel Force brand.  They have a a head with serrated teeth and Turkeys on the package.  I didn't use that one.  Ther is alsoone with huge wide heads called the gilliotine. 

I considered using Judo points and taking head shots, otherwise I'd say the same broad head, trade point, or flint head as you use for deer.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 04:16:00 pm »
  I use the same self bows, shoot arrows, home made trade points,knapped heads I use for deer hunting. If you have a good deer set theres no reason to try to learn something else. When you have mussle menory of this set up. Why change it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 05:44:16 pm »
 If you hit a Turkey in the head with a Judo point more than likely you will make it retarded or it will run off and die.  A broadhead or stone point that makes a big hole is best.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 02:25:47 am »
If you hit a Turkey in the head with a Judo point more than likely you will make it retarded or it will run off and die.  A broadhead or stone point that makes a big hole is best.

Just thinking to break the neck or miss altogeather and do no damage.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 11:08:22 am »
If you hit a Turkey in the head with a Judo point more than likely you will make it retarded....

LOL ;D ;D ;D  Too late for that, turkeys start out retarded.  They are tough though so I use a broadhead. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 12:31:41 pm »
based on what Eddie says I'd say that some of the folks that I work with have been shot in the head with Judo points  ;)

sorry! but hopefully this thread will get back on track now....

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 03:30:23 am »
how is the meat after a big giant hole is punched in it?  I'd think a stone ponit will be somewhere between sliced and bruised meat.  A wild turkey hasn't realy got legs to speak of as I understand so mutilating a breast might reduce edibles?

I'm not a "eat what you kill only" hunter but .... I do eat what I kill or I don't kill it, unless it's an invasive. . .  or ferral cats far from the barn.  The hunting if fun but honestly I like the cooking and serving it as much or more. 

I have friends that see a deer in the distance and stat counting tines and talking silly like "boon and crocket" or sometn.  I look at the deer and I see a butchers chart and a bag of tip oerlays,buttons, and tool handles.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 01:56:16 am »
Amen !
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 02:22:39 am »
how is the meat after a big giant hole is punched in it?  I'd think a stone ponit will be somewhere between sliced and bruised meat.  A wild turkey hasn't realy got legs to speak of as I understand so mutilating a breast might reduce edibles?

Down here in Texas we get to shoot turkeys with a rifle.  Even a bullet to the breast doesn't normally ruin the whole thing.  I soak out as much blood as possible and then cut away anything still bloody which usually isn't much.  Unless the bird is facing me so I can shoot through the V in the wishbone, I take them in the pelvis with either bow or gun.  I'd rather shoot up the butt than the breast.  I never use a shotgun on them, either a bow or a rifle depending on whether I'm hunting or just shopping.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 07:13:30 am »
Same points as deer, I try for a head or drummy shot ...imho a little waste in meat is far better than a lost, wounded bird ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 11:14:36 am »
I remember seeing a video on the trad site a while back where a guy shot a turkey in the head with a hex point.  He made a great shot, but the turkey stumbled and wandered around for several minutes before it finally fell over dead.

Of course, all I've ever carried is an 870 and I can't even manage a kill with it.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 02:47:20 am »
Same points as deer, I try for a head or drummy shot ...imho a little waste in meat is far better than a lost, wounded bird ;)

You are probably right.  What about those serrated heads that help prevent a passthrough or the shaft spring collar things?  I'd think the ideal would be to break the back. 

I know as soon as I'm in front of a turkey I'll get excited and shoot what ever I canhit.  I'll be like "yup . . . shot him in the big toe".  As I show off my mounted toe.  "Next season I'll get the rest of him".